Upgrading to a newer trnsmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldMedic

Reaction score
Can you upgrade a 2004 Expedition to a newer transmission, with more than 4 speeds?

If you can, other than the tranny, would would you need to do to the vehicle?

I have the 4.6 V-8

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the 6r80 will bolt up to the 2V 5.4, I don’t know about the 4.6.

If it does, you’ll have to get a controller for it.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried looking for you but with the holiday today I could not reach anybody. So far just from online research (and I'm corrected from above post) I only found the original transmission is OK with your truck. I'm probably misinformed, but will look to make a few calls this Wed if my schedule does not change.

Old Guy

Reaction score
A new vehicle comes with a better tranny. Sarcasm aside, I am a retired engineer. The engine's and tranny's computer are programmed for that engines torque curve and the gear ratios and number of gears. So, lets say you get a mechanical fit, for the purposes of illustration. Now you have to find the computer with software for a 20 yr old engine, which incidentally was not offered past 2006 (I think) in the expy to run a 6 speed or greater tranny and find a tranny computer that is set up for that engine so the computers can talk to each other.
In engineering jargon this is called reverse engineering.

Note: the usshift unit manufacturers website shown above, give me in impression that their unit is an after market device to improve an existing unit, and the 2003-2004 expy is not specifically listed. However, but what do I Know?

Last edited:

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
Those transmissions will only fit Coyote pattern (1991+ 4.6/5.0/5.4/6.2 V-8s and 6.8 V-10), which are all fuel injected computer engines. I don't know how much the trans controller is integrated with or relies on signals from the engine controller -- not familiar enough with Ford electronics. Assuming that the trans controller is integrated into the engine controller (most late models-- after 1995 -- are), the US Shift controller should plug between the trans and ECM, intercepting the factory signals and "reinterpreting" for the newer trans. So it looks like it is intended to put a newer trans in an older vehicle.

I originally wanted a six speed vehicle, but found a 2005 in such immaculate condition that I went ahead with the four speed. Gas mileage and other performance figures are about the same with four or six speed, though I'm confident the six speed would likely be a bit better for towing. Still, I wouldn't think it worth the money to swap it out. That controller and wiring harness (necessary) is $1250, a reman 6R80 is at least $2500. If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time, and assuming everything else is in real good condition, you might not mind spending nearly $4K to swap the transmission. The only way you'll get your money out of it is to "drive it out" -- enjoy/use it for a few years. Cheaper than a newer vehicle! I'm sure you'd need a few other items, so $4K might be low...

This might help with swap info. Though it's a car, a 2WD swap would be about the same, and even a 4WD would be similar.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/swap-6r80-transmission-fox-body-mustang/

Old Guy

Reaction score
I stand corrected. It seems to me that with the cost and time spent, trading up to newer vehicle may be better? What do I know?