Upper dash center tray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Castro

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing something with this middle console. I do not mind the outside ones but the middle seems useless to me with the bumpy bottom. I am thinking of 3d printing a lid to make it flush so I can use a cheap phone mount on it. I want to hard wire a USB C ford behind the dash to come up from the lid for power to the phone. Seems easy enough to do. What is everyone else using this tray for?

upload_2019-4-1_9-29-16.png

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I use it for a pencil which rolls forward and back and forward.

I remember that Chevy had a recall over such a dash-located tray in Surburbans and Tahoes. It seems that some people with peculiarly-shaped heads could get them stuck between the windshield and tray. The recall installed a sloped-bottomed tray which supposedly prevented the entrapment.

No, I didn't make that up. That's why the Ford tray has a sloped back: Can't hook a nose.

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use mine for my GPS. It sits perfectly in the tray because I use the sand type base. Other than that…..it's empty.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am making a dash pod to mount an Android Headunit.
You have an older model that you can still swap out the Headunit for aftermarket so no need for that by you.

OP
OP
R

Robert Castro

Reaction score
Be a good spot for a wireless charging pad.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same but with the location I would be worried about heating. I want to make it flat and flush so I can see the phone and use it for navigation. A hidden charging pad would not work for this set up.

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
My son designed and 3D printed a tissue box holder. I always have a Kleenex box with my expy and it was sliding all over the dash or in someone’s seat. It’s not a hula girl but very functional and just sits there all day long now!