USB Hub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoPaw

Reaction score
I have a 2917 Limited. As we were travelling this past weekend I had my iPhone X plugged in and was using Maps for directions. After a few hours the feed from my phone quit and a notification now appears RANDOMLY that says "The USB device requires too much power. Please remove."
I removed everything from all USB ports and the same message continues to randomly appear.
When I got home, I removed the battery cable to do a computer reset. No change.
I did a "Master reset" through the radio. No change.
The USB (front) ports no longer charge the phones, so I'm assuming I need to replace the complete USB Hub Assembly.
Any insights?????

Bergie

Reaction score
Check the fuse. The symptoms are somewhat consistent with a loss of power. Error messages come from an internal list and generally are not intuitive. If the fuse is blown, it's easy to replace.

If you use your iPhone with Maps frequently, you might consider adding your own USB charging port - there are lots of options available, starting with something as simple as a unit that plugs into a cigarette lighter 12V power port. When you plug in to the existing USB ports, your device connects to the vehicle's system (as you've seen). Avoiding the system connection prevents incorrect error messages and gets you a faster charge for your device.

OP
OP
G

GeoPaw

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, Bergie. I've had COVID and was waiting on the suggested removal tools.
I did check the fuses - both inside and under the hood. All OK.
I just received my removal tools to take out the USB hub. As I was removing it this morning, I noticed that the blue halo lights around the two usb's would randomly come on/off. I don't have a new hub yet because I wanted to get the PN from the old one: usb hub (PN:HC3T-14F014-BC)
I disconnected the power from the hub and the same error message continues to come up on the screen after I started the car. There are no other USB ports in the car. Seems like my only option is to buy a new hub ($60) and try it???

Bergie

Reaction score
I hope the new one solves your issue. Best of luck and please post the outcome.

iamthedavem

Reaction score
I have a 2016 and I noticed that the built in usb ports definitely do not charge at the same rate as my cigarette lighter powered fast charger. When using my Note 8 with the cable connected to the built in charger for an extended period of time, I noticed that the charger could not keep up with the rate that the batter was discharging. When I use my fast charger connected to the cigarette lighter, there is no problem. My only issue with it would be that it needs to be connected to the built in port to use Android Auto with the system. I'd be interested to know if a new built in faster charging usb port is available. Do you know if the charger is built in to the port that is being replaced, or if it is charging from a separate charger that the port wiring is connected to?

OP
OP
G

GeoPaw

Reaction score
I had to order it from the local Ford place and it should arrive today

OP
OP
G

GeoPaw

Reaction score
I just switched them out - no change
Must be in the wiring harness

OP
OP
G

GeoPaw

Reaction score
I need to use the original hub for the Ford Sync and/or ApplePlay. But thank you for the reply

Bergie

Reaction score
For any of you that might find it helpful, I submit for your consideration a post I made on August 6th. Look for Coin Holder Mod parts 1 and 2.