Vacuum Line broke Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Schmidt

Reaction score
This 4wd hub vacuum line is broke right in the front of the vehicle. #2 pretty much right where the #2 label is. This feeds? vacuum to the passenger 4wd hub.

upload_2019-9-3_10-18-1.png

Do the hubs engage WITH vacuum or WithOUT vacuum.

With this line broke is my hub on the passenger side on all the time????

Anyone ever succesfull with just repairing the break instead of replaceing whole line.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt

Reaction score
Thanks, So just because the hub is engaged does not really do anything other than more mechanical wear vs not being engaged? Its not like I'm going arouind with 3 wheel drive, it only goes to 4 wheel drive once the transfer case is engaged?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want you can temporarily run it this way, however I would unplug the vacuum hose from the other side hub. Loss of vacuum on one side can effect the other and cause grinding of the IWE which isn’t good for the teeth.

A/M sells permanent lockouts that couple hub and shaft together at all times. So in short no it won’t hurt anything to unplug it and you will still have 4WD.

OP
OP
Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt

Reaction score
Actually I was hoping to repair it somehow instead of replacing the whole long snaking line.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually I was hoping to repair it somehow instead of replacing the whole long snaking line.
Wrap it with electrical tape. Even better would be to cover the hole with something stiff..a piece of plastic or metal, then wrap the tape around that. It won't last forever, but its damn near free.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s easy, watched a ford tech replace mine along with every other 4WD component 3 months ago. Took him 5 minutes.

As for vacuum, truck running in 2hi pulls vacuum to keep the hubs from engaging. Switch to 4hi you lose vacuum and hubs move to engage. Truck off with no vacuum, hubs engage to act like 4WD. You lose vacuum anywhere in the system you will engage the hubs to 4WD but no 4WD light will come on. A small leak will cause the gears to grind. Large leak you will engage the hubs completely. I would spend the few minutes and replace the lines. Just follow the clips

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger