Very loud air conditioner / compressor maybe? Really not sure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Bulloch

Reaction score
2015 Expedition EL

I have begun to hear a VERY loud noise coming from my vehicle. This noise seems to be tied to the A/C as it doesn't happen otherwise. When I stop the car and get out, it sounds like a fan running under the hood very loud and very fast. I'm in Georgia so the heat is oppressive, I'm guessing maybe the A/C is working extra hard to keep up. Once the car stops, but engine still on, that noise continues for quite some time.

Is this something I should take to an A/C place to check out? Or to my general mechanic? Or a better recommendation?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2015 Expedition EL

I have begun to hear a VERY loud noise coming from my vehicle. This noise seems to be tied to the A/C as it doesn't happen otherwise. When I stop the car and get out, it sounds like a fan running under the hood very loud and very fast. I'm in Georgia so the heat is oppressive, I'm guessing maybe the A/C is working extra hard to keep up. Once the car stops, but engine still on, that noise continues for quite some time.

Is this something I should take to an A/C place to check out? Or to my general mechanic? Or a better recommendation?

I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 with the HD towing system.

The radiator fans with the HD cooling operate at a higher RPM at times, and can sound as though there is a “roaring” noise. The fan motors are variable speed, not high and low speeds.

The first year I had the vehicle, I was alarmed at the very loud nose with hot ambient temperatures (but not towing). Several people commented that there was “something wrong” while I was fueling the vehicle, with the engine and a/c running.

The fans would continue to run for several minutes after the vehicle was turned off.

I returned to the dealer and they claimed that the noise was normal and would be intermittent. There was no information in the vehicle owner’s manual about the extremely loud noise.

I have owned vehicles for 50+ years, and this Expedition has the loudest radiator fans I have ever encountered.

I’d bet you have the same fans and noise.

OP
OP
B

Bill Bulloch

Reaction score
This sounds pretty accurate, thank you. Surely more folks than you and I have experienced this, right?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This sounds pretty accurate, thank you. Surely more folks than you and I have experienced this, right?

There has been a few posts over the past few years on this forum regarding the loud radiator fan noise. It seems to be more prevalent on the 2015 - 2017 models.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2016 does that on occasion - AC on and high outside temps. Had an Audi S7 that would do this as well. I just assumed engines with twin turbos need all the cooling they can get. Most have oil coolers and I was always told it was bad to come off the highway and shut off the engine right away. I always idle for a bit and let the turbos cool down. But I am old and stuck in my ways...........

drbr0b0tnik

Reaction score
2015 Limited with HD tow. Yeah it’s loud as hell. I’m in AZ, so it’s extra hot and lately ~50% humidity due to our monsoon season. I sometimes have to turn the engine off when going through drive thrus because it’s so loud they can’t hear me on the speakers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett