Vinegar-like smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Hoover

Reaction score
2018 Expy. I note a brief but strong vinegar smell coming from the AC when I start up on a warm day. I thought it was just me but other passengers have noticed it as well.
The smell is not related to cleaning products- it’s been a while since it’s had a bath, especially on the inside.
Anyone else notice a similar smell?

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps you have mold, etc growing in your A/C ducts. Houston does have VERY high humidity in the summer, so maybe that's when something started growing. You should be able to purchase disinfectant spray that you spray into your vents to take care of the issue.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. It would have been a real head-scratcher trying to figure this out on the fly.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My vents smell awful. Any ideas? I try to drive it every couple days or so but I assume it’s related to the increased downtime. Should I be worried a drain tube is suddenly plugged up somewhere?

My cabin air filter was just changed a couple months ago.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My vents smell awful. Any ideas? I try to drive it every couple days or so but I assume it’s related to the increased downtime. Should I be worried a drain tube is suddenly plugged up somewhere?

My cabin air filter was just changed a couple months ago.

I noticed that some air fresheners result in a very bad smell out of the vents.

It also helps to turn off the AC and keep it on fan only for couple of minutes before reaching your destination.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about putting it on recirculate just before shutting it off? This way there are no open vents to the outside air. Not sure if this is how the system works but maybe worth a try.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed that some air fresheners result in a very bad smell out of the vents.

It also helps to turn off the AC and keep it on fan only for couple of minutes before reaching your destination.

No air fresheners.

I feel like it has to be the downtime, the AC runs for 8 minutes while I run to the grocery store and then sits for three days. Then we do it all over again. I’ll just deal with it until life is back to normal and then see how it does.