Voltage from battery ground to chassis ground.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This post piggybacks from my previous electrical post. I’m getting 2.5 to 7.5 volts from my battery ground to the chassis and any bolt or chassis ground I touch. Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn’t this reading be 0 volts and anything other than 0 is evidence of something amiss, correct?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, not sure I understand, you have a digital multimeter/voltmeter, your connecting the + to either chassis or battery, and the - test lead to either chassis or battery and you're getting 2.5 to 7.5 volts? That's definitely not okay. It definitely should read zero or really close to it. Same as my previous post, I've seen tons or reports of ground issues in these.

Just for giggles, what if you remove the ground harness from the battery, and test the harness and a chassis ground. Again, still should be zero.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
shouldn’t this reading be 0 volts and anything other than 0 is evidence of something amiss, correct?
Yes you are correct. The ground is lifting somewhere.
In the electrical section there is a sticky for voltage drop test. There is a great video on how to. This should lead you right to your problem.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take a set of jumper cables and put one lead on a good ground location and then back to the negative battery terminal. Test it again and see if it goes to zero. If so the jumper cables are making a good ground connection and the factory cable is not.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take a set of jumper cables and put one lead on a good ground location and then back to the negative battery terminal. Test it again and see if it goes to zero. If so the jumper cables are making a good ground connection and the factory cable is not.
I wonder if this would be a good enough workaround to get me back camping until I can get this fixed under warranty.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks!! I’ll take a look now!

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, not sure I understand, you have a digital multimeter/voltmeter, your connecting the + to either chassis or battery, and the - test lead to either chassis or battery and you're getting 2.5 to 7.5 volts? That's definitely not okay. It definitely should read zero or really close to it. Same as my previous post, I've seen tons or reports of ground issues in these.

Just for giggles, what if you remove the ground harness from the battery, and test the harness and a chassis ground. Again, still should be zero.
Yes, I am doing exactly what you described. I can pull the negative and test like you suggested and see what it says.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if this would be a good enough workaround to get me back camping until I can get this fixed under warranty.
The only way it will be a good work around is if you cut the clamps off and secured the whole wire to ground and to battery post. Those clamps will not be enough contact for a stable ground.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks!! I’ll take a look now!
If what fozzy suggested works then you could just try loosening the ground connections and retightening them and see if the problem goes away. It could just have some corrosion or other gunk preventing a good ground.

I once had to run a couple pieces of romex on a jeep to restore a ground to get off the trail. Ended up leaving it that way for weeks before I fixed it for real.