Wacky Odometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cecelia

Reaction score
I am at a loss; I just wanted to know if anyone else is or has experienced problems with an odometer that appears to be accelerating prematurely.

Normally, the only time I look at my odometer is when I'm due for an oil change; so, I didn't notice this until recently. I have a 2009 Ford Expedition that I purchased used. It had 49,000 miles on it when I bought it; which should have been a red flag in and of itself. It was only a year old at the time of purchase, but was previously owned by a Ford executive. I was having a conversation with a co-worker that prompted me to check my service records and that's when I noticed the crazy odometer readings.

There is no way this odometer is functioning properly. Case in point, I took it in to get new tires on 11/1/11. The incoming odometer reading was 75,221 (recorded on my Just Tires receipt). I picked the vehicle up the same day and the reading was 76,808; a difference of 1,587 miles in less than 8 hrs.!!!! Another example: I had the oil changed on 11/9/11 and the reading was 77,532 (recorded on my Jiffy Lube receipt). A little over a month later, on 12/18/11, the reading was 80,470; a difference of 2,938 miles!!! I'm telling you, we do not drive nearly that much. According to the odometer readings we have driven over 52,000 miles in a little over 2 years!!! That is insane.

When I brought it to the attention of the dealer's service manager, he looked at me like I was crazy. However, he had to admit that the readings I had on my chart listing every oil change and service with an odometer reading were the same as the readings he had of my account in his system. Of course, after he had a technician take a look at it they didn't find any type of malfunction. Since then, I have been monitoring the readings and (mysteriously) it seems to be working fine now.

This problem has caused me to: get oil changes more frequently than necessary; voided my 100,000 mile warranty sooner; and devalued the trade-in of the vehicle.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had or knows of a similar issue. Please email me at: [email protected]. Please reference Expedition Odometer so I won't accidently delete the message as spam.

mazdaparts

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a thought, is it reading kilometers instead of miles? 1 kilometer = .621371 miles. For example every 100 kilometers you travel is only 62.1371 miles. That would explain the miles racking up faster than normal. I do not know how to fix this, but the dealer should.

Vigilante

Reaction score
If it is set to kilometers than your speed should also be reading in kilometers. If anything, drive a stretch of road that you know is exactly a mile and make sure that it comes up as exactly a mile. If it turns out that you are stuck in kmh mode, I believe that you change all those settings through the stereo functions (as long as it is the OEM radio).