Washer fluid drained overnight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How common is this issue? I filled the washer fluid reservoir on Saturday. Sunday morning the low washer fluid warning came on. Yep, the bottle was completely empty. Could find no leaks under the hood. Pulled the passenger side kick panels off under dash and found the hose disconnected. It's crowded in there and I couldn't even find the other end it connects to. Bottom of door frame was full of fluid, heh.
The rear washer hasn't worked in years, so I plugged the hose with some black RTV silicone sealant adhesive. Hope that stops the drain.

It did seem like I was refilling the fluid resevoir more often than I thought necessary compared to how often I used the washers. So it's probably been leaking slowly for years.

2013Tuxedo

Reaction score
The tube to the back is super tight (short) and actually not long enough to accommodate a passenger playing footsy with the footwell. This design is common (and stupid) and Ford deserves a flogging for making the tubes so short. If you want to try and repair the issue you can buy a washer nozzle kit and new hose from rockauto for about $20 and use this link to find the other end (start at 2:30 in the video) https://youtu.be/KhfNuoB3Bmk?si=5YhRaeakYTjZntec&t=150

Nozzle kit: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11306204&cc=0&pt=8838&jsn=5

You may not even need the extra hose and I'm not sure which is the correct Inner Diameter but here's the link

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 2001 I have disconnected the rear wiper motor. I installed a Y connection so that the washer fluid pump will squirt on the front windscreen when using either the rear or front washer switch. It is handy and easy to do. If you need washer hose, go to Lowes and buy some Orbit black sprinkler hose used for drip watering. For some reason buying that same hose at auto parts store is impossible.

OP
OP
GaryH

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried plugging the hose inside the vehicle behind the kick panel, but that didn't work. Ended up cutting the hose to the rear washer where it goes into the firewall under the hood. Plugged up one of those plastic washer hose connectors with RTV and let it set until cured. Then I inserted the connector into the end of the washer hose. That stopped the leak. Just learned to live without a rear washer that I rarely used anyway.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried plugging the hose inside the vehicle behind the kick panel, but that didn't work. Ended up cutting the hose to the rear washer where it goes into the firewall under the hood. Plugged up one of those plastic washer hose connectors with RTV and let it set until cured. Then I inserted the connector into the end of the washer hose. That stopped the leak. Just learned to live without a rear washer that I rarely used anyway.
You cant just plug the hose because if you ever press the rear wiper wash button it will blow the hose off the pump or the plug from the hose. Use a Y connector at the pump so that all the water goes to the front nozzles. You get the added benefit of prewashing the windscreen.

OP
OP
GaryH

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You cant just plug the hose because if you ever press the rear wiper wash button it will blow the hose off the pump or the plug from the hose. Use a Y connector at the pump so that all the water goes to the front nozzles. You get the added benefit of prewashing the windscreen.
That is something I hadn't considered. I'll take another look at it. So far so good, but I haven't pressed the rear washer button yet.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is something I hadn't considered. I'll take another look at it. So far so good, but I haven't pressed the rear washer button yet.
In the 2001, the washer pump motor spins one direction for front, then reverse for rear. I kept losing fluid until I disconnected rear line and "T'd" the pump outlet . Probably gushing out of an open hose in the cabin floor.