Wastegate flutter at high gear + low RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keaton Taylor

Reaction score
I was towing a Uhaul trailer last weekend and when I would get to 6th going 70mph at about 2500RPM, I'd start getting the RPM tach bouncing about 5-750 RPMs and the truck noticeably rocking. This should 100% not be happening. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Took it to the dealer and they found a crankcase PCV sensor code (P051D + B) and they're ordering the new sensor but shipping means it won't be here til Tuesday but said nothing else was wrong.

Are all of these people just ODBII jockeys? Why isn't anyone finding something?

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your PCV active when the engine is at idle? You can put your hand on it to feel whether it's the ball is bouncing up and down or get close enough to hear it clacking away. If that's the case, the spring is likely worn out. You can pull it to see if it's gummed up. You can see mine below. I ordered the new one - the latest iteration is EV297. Replacing it fixed my PCV issue.a9f89b6788d8f48ad3fc43652ef9422f.jpg6916e03890ff1528a5b6ad6830ec4d4c.jpg630ea2009d02dda4c62a16f4ec855aff.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your PCV active when the engine is at idle? You can put your hand on it to feel whether it's the ball is bouncing up and down or get close enough to hear it clacking away. If that's the case, the spring is likely worn out. You can pull it to see if it's gummed up. You can see mine below. I ordered the new one - the latest iteration is EV297. Replacing it fixed my PCV issue.a9f89b6788d8f48ad3fc43652ef9422f.jpg6916e03890ff1528a5b6ad6830ec4d4c.jpg630ea2009d02dda4c62a16f4ec855aff.jpg

Where does this valve mount? Thank you.

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was towing a Uhaul trailer last weekend and when I would get to 6th going 70mph at about 2500RPM, I'd start getting the RPM tach bouncing about 5-750 RPMs and the truck noticeably rocking. This should 100% not be happening. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Took it to the dealer and they found a crankcase PCV sensor code (P051D + B) and they're ordering the new sensor but shipping means it won't be here til Tuesday but said nothing else was wrong.

Are all of these people just ODBII jockeys? Why isn't anyone finding something?
Finally got some time to sit down and decided to re-read your post. I noticed you mentioned the tach was pretty active when your symptoms occurred. When was the last time you pulled and inspected your throttle body?

The PCV issue would normally only occur under load and be less noticeable in higher gears/speeds. A defective PCV can stifle the vacuum air and cause misfires under load which is most obvious right before your vehicle would normally downshift, and is easiest to duplicate in the lower gears. This does not sound like your issue based on the description you gave.

Did the truck seem like it was bogging down? Did it have the "rumble strip effect"? Any surging/lunging?

If you have Forscan you can pull your desired vs. actual degrees for the throttle body and see if they are close (usually within .01).

You could do a smoke test to check for vacuum leaks (the symptoms make a strong case for this), and see if you have a big leak somewhere. Would likely be significant to cause that much movement in the tach in high gear. You can make a smoker pretty easily and run the test yourself to save the $100+ at the shop.

I'd be curious to know how you make out.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Elias - Welcome to the forum and I want to compliment you on using the forum the way it is intended. Great technical info and no snide comments or opinions. Happy New Year!

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Elias - Welcome to the forum and I want to compliment you on using the forum the way it is intended. Great technical info and no snide comments or opinions. Happy New Year!
Thank you! Happy New Year.
I'm here to learn and help where I can. Definitely grateful for the community.

Chris Vessey

Reaction score
Mine is doing the exact same thing @Keaton Taylor & @Psychobot90. No check engine light, no error codes… the dealership replaced all plugs & coils - did not solve. Any update here or is a defective PCV the most likely culprit?