Water in the roof liner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It rained pretty hard around here yesterday and this morning I noticed a lot of water trapped above the roof headliner in the 2nd row area. Didn't see it at first, but as soon as I touched the ceiling, the cloth got wet and water started dripping into the cab. (guess water is trapped in the sponge that's part of the trim).
I'll check my sunroof drains and the drain pan, but my question is... how the heck do I get the water out of there in the first place (without removing the entire liner, as I understand that takes a LOT of time)?

My ideas so far are:
- use a shop vac to suck it through the cloth. (afraid it will leave a stain)
- use a few towels to squeeze the water out of it. (afraid it will leave stains)
- drive around with the rear heat set to the max
- leave the truck in the driveway for a few days with all windows and vents slightly open and hope that the water dries out (it's supposed to be sunny for the rest of the week)

which of these ideas sounds like the least stupid? :)

Also, what's the best way to get stains out of there? I imagine that i'm gonna end up with stains in the places where i touched the ceiling and the water came through.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats a really common problem with the 2nd gens. i dont remember how to fix it though. someone with a 2nd gen will know more. as for getting the water out. ugh. your best bet would be to take the head liner off. but then you have all that water just pouring out. i would take a shop vac to it and see what you can get. or even get part of the headliner open enough to put the vac hose in there. that might work. then as for stains idk either. haha im a load of help for you rnt i? sorry.

OP
OP
bertro

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I left the truck's windows slightly open while at work today and to my surprise the water was all gone and the liner dry when i left this afternoon. There are also no stains, guess the roof was really clean when the water poured in. I still cranked the heat up to the max on the 45-min drive home just to make sure everything dries completely. So far so good.

Checked the drain pan amd it seems to be in place. I'll buy a can of compressed air and blow the drain tubes one of these days. Hope Irene is now gone for good and no other storm comes by to piss inside my truck in the near future :d