What is the purpose of this thing (wire protector?) in liftgate jamb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimberExpy

Reaction score
I noticed this thing that appears to be a wire protector earlier today on our '22 Timberline. I've seen it dozens of times before, but upon closer inspection, I see that 1) it's broken/ripped (hanging on by a thread) and 2) has nothing in it.

If it were a wire protector I would presumably see wire(s) in it. But I can't figure out what it's for.

The conduit tubing to the left and right of it are of course for the third brake light, rear wiper power, rear wiper sprayer fluid, etc. But I don't know what this is for, or what purpose it serves if it's just an empty tube.

Any insight from folks here is much appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
so there is nothing inside the black conduit?

So evidently this is actually a section of the rear wiper fluid hose. I've looked at the diagram(s) on Ford's part website.

What threw me off was that:

1) the rear wiper fluid sprayer still works (maybe because when the liftgate is closed there is enough of a seal to still permit fluid flow), although it does seem to take longer than it should to prime; and

2) the hose is "ribbed" like you sometimes see with wire conduit. But when doing google searches on Ford's washer fluid hoses with this same part number, some of them are indeed ribbed like this.

It's crazy to me that a hose less than two years old is already tearing. I'm really not looking forward to removing trim pieces to complete this repair, so in the meantime I suppose I will just tape the damn thing.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Somehow, the picture isn't matching the words. I see a split corrugated "wire cover" (aka chicken neck) that is surrounding the washer fluid hose. The split that runs lengthwise is completely normal. That's how it is snapped over a section of the hose.

What am I missing in the picture?

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Somehow, the picture isn't matching the words. I see a split corrugated "wire cover" (aka chicken neck) that is surrounding the washer fluid hose. The split that runs lengthwise is completely normal. That's how it is snapped over a section of the hose.

What am I missing in the picture?

You said "that is surrounding the washer fluid hose", but that's not true. There is nothing inside the "wire cover", because it's not a wire cover, it's the fluid hose itself. There is no split that runs lengthwise on it, because it's not a wire cover. Strange, I know... it does indeed look like a corrugated cover.

I'm posting updated photos in moment, below.

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
I.e. why it's also called split loom. if there's a hose in there, the split loom is simply additional protection for the hose.

I'm posting updated photos below in a moment.... it's not a split loom, but rather it's the fluid hose itself. Some sections of the hose are corrugated like this. It's for back up camera cleaner, which has never worked... now I know why.

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
So here's another photo, taken after I removed the trim pieces from both the liftgate and above/below the jamb. This specific washer fluid hose that's split is the one that runs to the backup camera washer. In the photo you can see the hose run upward and out the large hole that eventually leads to the sprayer for the backup camera.

This ****** me off.... since purchasing this vehicle new, I've always wondered "when" or under what conditions the backup camera washer works. I've NEVER seen it work, and now I know why.

Rather than deal with Ford's crap dealers for a warranty repair on this, I'm probably going to just do the repair myself. If anyone here has experience working with these types of hose connectors, feel free to share any advice. I don't have time to repair this right now, and will probably do so in a couple of days.

3.jpeg

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Actually, rather than buying the OEM tube from Ford and messing with their connectors, etc., I may just get one of these kits and do what this guy is doing. Looks like he's making the repair on a VW, but the tubing is similar: