WDH needed on '17 Limited Expy for 7,600lbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed in the "Do I have the HD package..." and I've looked through that and still can't find an answer to this question.

My spec decal says I have axle 15 with the 3.31 gears and I am OK with that. It also says I have 9,200 Weight Distributing but 6,000 weight carrying. I have read several posters saying you can exceed the 6,000 without a WD hitch and still be fine.

Your thoughts?

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are you sure its 6k weight carrying?
but yes a wdh is more than just taking load off the rear, it also transfers weigh to the front axle to help with steering traction and level of the vehicle.
and it transfers weight back to the trailer axles as well. makes a much more enjoyable safer ride

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
What tongue weight? The weight bearing tow limit is 600 pounds on the ball (10% of the towing capacity); that bumps up to 920 with a weight distribution hitch (WDH) dialed in correctly.

Boat trailers loaded correctly typically need 7% to 10% of their weight on the ball to track well. Other trailers need 10% to 15%. I've weighed my camper trailer tongue and it runs over 700 pounds with a 5000 to 6000 pound total weight.

-- Chuck

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as I read it, and a bit different than my ole '97 on capabilitles/limitations: "when properly equipped" those are Ford's capabilities, probably conservative as physics would most likely give you a different set of numbers.

That being said, get the best hitch avail, anti-sway etc...for your frame-mounted receiver. I chose Reese personally to put in my factory-equipped HD towing package receiver as I lived close to an RV mega-center and that's what they did. they do it everyday and are proud to show off their wares.

What are you towing?

Last edited:

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed in the "Do I have the HD package..." and I've looked through that and still can't find an answer to this question.

My spec decal says I have axle 15 with the 3.31 gears and I am OK with that. It also says I have 9,200 Weight Distributing but 6,000 weight carrying. I have read several posters saying you can exceed the 6,000 without a WD hitch and still be fine.

Your thoughts?

I’d say the decal, and Ford’s towing guide, are pretty specific about needing a WDH for that much weight. With a 7,600-pound trailer, you will have 800+ pounds in tongue weight (my car trailer loaded is 7,800 pounds with 1,000 pounds on the tongue) hanging off the furthest rearward part of the truck, so it will have a pretty horrendous squat without a WDH, which in turn means compromised braking, steering, handling, and sway control.
Can you do it? Sure. You can throw 10,000-pounds on the hitch without weight distribution and hit the highway if you wanted, the truck would probably handle it, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a good idea.

What is the reason behind not wanting to use a WDH?

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am towing a boat. Last March I towed this same boat from MA to Miami, but used my son's Silverado 2500 Dura-Max. I didn't use my WDH because it wasn't really necessary.

Hooking up the WDH is a bit of a pain in the neck. I also have a very sharp u-turn to bring the boat out of the boat barn and I dislike the stress put on the WDH. I'll be taking a 400 mile round trip next week so I will put the WDH on for that. For local use the regular hitch has worked fine.

I asked the question because in going from a 2011 Expy Limited to this vehicle I thought I read that the WDH wasn't necessary. I was incorrect. By the way, are the Gen 4 towing capacities the same as Gen 3?

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am towing a boat. Last March I towed this same boat from MA to Miami, but used my son's Silverado 2500 Dura-Max. I didn't use my WDH because it wasn't really necessary.

Hooking up the WDH is a bit of a pain in the neck. I also have a very sharp u-turn to bring the boat out of the boat barn and I dislike the stress put on the WDH. I'll be taking a 400 mile round trip next week so I will put the WDH on for that. For local use the regular hitch has worked fine.

I asked the question because in going from a 2011 Expy Limited to this vehicle I thought I read that the WDH wasn't necessary. I was incorrect. By the way, are the Gen 4 towing capacities the same as Gen 3?
Boats tend to have a lower tongue weight, but that’s a heavy boat. I’d still run the WDH for it, even locally.
I understand your reasoning behind not wanting to run it, but as the load doesn’t change much, once you set it up the first time, there shouldn’t be much in the way of changes needed, so setup should be relatively quick after that. For my trailer, the initial setup was about 15 minutes, but now that it is set, as long as I don’t vary the load hooking up takes me an extra 30 seconds versus the non-WDH. I’m not sure which type of WDH you are using, obviously.
A sharp turn may sound bad, but the WDH should handle it just fine. I have been using the same WDH on my trailer since 2015 and just pulling out of my yard requires a turn so tight that I’m inches from the tongue hitting my truck and there has been no adverse effects.

The HD trucks like the 2500 and Super Duty normally have the same capacity whether weight-carrying or weight-distributing. They are correctly built for it.

The 3rd and 4th gens are close to the same, the 4th gen EL and 4x4 are rated a few hundred pounds higher than their 3rd gen counterparts.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull my 3100 lb. R-Pod much more comfortably with my Andersen WDH/Antisway system. Whole thing weighs 60 lbs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze