Weight Distribution Hitch Sway Control for V-nose enclosed trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zoey2015

Reaction score
I have a 7X14x7 enclosed trailer with additional 3' V nose that I would like to get a WDH + Sway control to tow with my 2018 Expedition Limited with the HD package. The trailer is an all aluminum trailer and it weighs 1750 pounds and has 7000 pounds gross vehicle weight. I use it for trailering motorcycles. I have it set up to hold up to 4 full size motorcycles. These motorcycles weigh between 550 and 700 pounds. I also have various tools that weigh around 200 pounds. That means my trailer + cargo can weigh anywhere between 2500 and 4750 pounds. gross Here are what I'm hoping to accomplish:
1. better balance weight between the front and rear axles of the Expedition
2. minimize sway if/when it happens
3. easily adjust the WDH when the loaded weight changes
4. avoid drilling the trailer frame if possible since I have read that most WDH don't work with a V-nosed trailer .
5. still be ale to use the Backup Assist that comes with the HD tow package.

I'm new to the WDH world so please forgive my ignorance and questions that might not make sense. Many thanks in advance!

lurch

Reaction score
I have a BlueOx Sway Pro on my travel trailer and really like it for but I am not sure it will fit criteria 4 for you. Not sure how you will be able to not drill and use a WDH. The bars are an inescapable aspect of weight distribution and they need a mounting point on the nose of the trailer.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you're on the right track, zoey2015. The Blue Ox SwayPro does not require drilling. There's a bolt that goes through the brackets to hold them tight against the frame, but they're not drilled through. The backup assist worked fine for me with the Blue Ox. I switched to the ProPride for my travel trailer, which lengthened the tongue too much for the backup assist to work. For your setup I wouldn't think you'd need to go that extreme. Something like an Equalizer or Blue Ox should work well. I still have the Blue Ox in the garage if anyone's near NC and wants a good deal on one.

mightyexpy

Reaction score
I got my Reese WDH (10,000 lbs) setup from a local trailer shop with a adjustable height hitch for my 24’ enclosed V-nose. I tow my track car with it and works fantastic. About 6500 lbs.
Easy to drive with minimal sway. Truck is nearly perfectly level as you can adjust the preload on the chains. Definitely recommend getting it installed professionally.

OP
OP
Z

zoey2015

Reaction score
I got my Reese WDH (10,000 lbs) setup from a local trailer shop with a adjustable height hitch for my 24’ enclosed V-nose. I tow my track car with it and works fantastic. About 6500 lbs.
Easy to drive with minimal sway. Truck is nearly perfectly level as you can adjust the preload on the chains. Definitely recommend getting it installed professionally.
Would you please let me know what the model # is? Thanks in advance!

Knut

Reaction score
I think you're on the right track, zoey2015. The Blue Ox SwayPro does not require drilling. There's a bolt that goes through the brackets to hold them tight against the frame, but they're not drilled through. The backup assist worked fine for me with the Blue Ox. I switched to the ProPride for my travel trailer, which lengthened the tongue too much for the backup assist to work. For your setup I wouldn't think you'd need to go that extreme. Something like an Equalizer or Blue Ox should work well. I still have the Blue Ox in the garage if anyone's near NC and wants a good deal on one.
I also have the BlueOx, and have been looking at the P3. How do you like it? Did it make a large change in your tongue load? Does it work and tow as well as they claim?

Thanks...

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have the BlueOx, and have been looking at the P3. How do you like it? Did it make a large change in your tongue load? Does it work and tow as well as they claim?

Thanks...
I have a 33' travel trailer and got the 3P because I was getting pushed around by trucks and wind. It was an improvement over the SwayPro, but not perfect like some reviews have you believe. I can still feel passing trucks and wind gusts, but they're less dramatic and easier to compensate for. It's an expensive hitch, but the extra safety margin made it worth it to me. Hooking up to the stinger takes some getting used to. I don't remember how much tongue weight it added, but I ended up being a tick over the 900lb tongue weight limit of the Expy and shifted some cargo to the back of the trailer. I'm now at ~880lb tongue weight with a 7,600lb trailer. I also switched to LT tires, upgraded sway bars, and Bilstein 5100s (in the front, back are still on backorder). All of it adds up to a good towing experience, but it's hard to overcome the physics of a 6,000lb vehicle towing a 7,600lb sail behind it. I wish Ford would come out with a 3/4 ton SUV again. If safety is a priority and you can get over the price tag, I definitely recommend the ProPride.

Knut

Reaction score
Thank you. I also wish FORD would do that. We are a family of 5 + 2 dogs.

My Expy has a pretty good payload 1796 lbs, and I’m about 180 lbs below that. We don’t put any cargo in the car. What surprised me was that I was only 60 lbs below max rear axle weight of 4380 lbs.

JerrySLC

Reaction score

I'm new to the WDH world so please forgive my ignorance and questions that might not make sense. Many thanks in advance!
I don't know that much about this either, but I'm happy with my setup. I have a 1997 Expy (!) with a towing package and air suspension (!!). I tow a 7000 pound RV with a V-nose. I use an Equal-i-zer brand 4-point sway control system. The brackets on the trailer are attached with clamps, no holes drilled. The hitch makes a world of difference for control in winds, like night versus day.