Weight distributing Hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreatExcape

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Max with the max tow package.
I also have a boat and trailer combination between 8 and 8.5k lbs.

I know a lot of guys run WDH's on campers to help with wind sway and what not, but do I really need one to tow the boat 45 minutes to the river and back on weekends? I understand that most vehicle manuals call for the WDH even when they are well overrated for the item being towed...
Running the WDH would require some modifications to the jack on my trailer and is also obviously far more expensive than a standard hitch. If I have to shell out the coin I will but if guys are towing boats like this regularly without one then I will invest in sumo springs, a rear sway bar, and a normal hitch...

Looking for opinions and real world experience.

Bonk

Reaction score
The moment you bottom out the suspension setting the tounge down you’ll know. If not then, when you try to turn you’ll push.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My understanding is that boats tend to run light on the hitch. Your best bet is to visit a scale and find out how heavy the tongue load actually is. If you don't put enough weight on the tongue and use a WDH when it's called for, you may experience excessive sway while towing.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
One round trip will supply all the data you need. Motorboat trailers have different weight distribution and you may not need or want a WDH. Seems I answered this earlier today in another thread? But two guys with new boats is wonderful!

-- Chuck

Knut

Reaction score
Max Tow & Tongue weight is based on using a WDH.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65