Weird feeling and noise in brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adkinsc20

Reaction score
Hello all. So, not sure how to describe this exactly. Every so often for a couple months now when pressing the brake pedal in I get a slight kinda click/not quite a clunk/sorta vibration for just a second when coming up to a stop. It doesn't seem to do it a coasting speed. There's not a wheel bearing hum or anything, just a brake pad clunking against rotor kinda noise when the feeling in the pedal happens. I've got a dip in the driveway and when the front wheel goes over it I get the same thing sometimes. The abs light came on this morning going to work, was still on when I left and went off when I hit a bump in the road, making me think wheel bearing but everything seems tight. Any ideas what this might be?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check both brake calipers thoroughly. You can have a bolt loose, or a loose pad moving around. The other thing like Andy stated have the whole front end shaken down, you can have a worn part that's contributing. At least you know it's in the front end area. Some noises appear to be coming from multiple areas. Keep us posted what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
adkinsc20

adkinsc20

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I finally got a day off from work so I'm gonna pop the wheels off today and poke around. It seems to be doing it more and more frequently. I crawled under and looked at the tie rods and ball joints and they "look" ok but will inspect them more thoroughly when I get the wheels off. Here hoping it's a loose bolt or something, I did change the brake pads about 2 months ago

OP
OP
adkinsc20

adkinsc20

Reaction score
Well, it's a wheel bearing. So much for something simple. Anything I should be aware of when changing it? Am I correct in thinking I just remove the caliper, bracket and the 4 bolts holding the bearing assembly on? No special tools required? Thanks again guys.

Also who else thinks the factory jack handle leaves something to be desired? Seems they forgot the most important part, the handle on the end. Unless mines just missing but I don't see a spot for it in the kit.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, it's a wheel bearing. So much for something simple. Anything I should be aware of when changing it? Am I correct in thinking I just remove the caliper, bracket and the 4 bolts holding the bearing assembly on? No special tools required? Thanks again guys.
MAYBE ! Assuming they are NOT too rust in, a big hammer and a chisel/punch are about the only thing you need. And a 35mm axle nut socket and a good 1/2" breaker bar ! You really should have a torque wrench for tightening.

Please use a HD jack stand ! You are going to be banging ad beating on this thing pretty hard !

Video on replacing Expedition front wheel bearing

Last edited: