Weird steering issue - might just be in my head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017 Expedition Eddie Bauer 184k miles. Driving today, I noticed when I'm driving slowly, like in a parking lot, when I'm turning the wheel at certain points it seems like it monetarily gets harder to turn.

Could just be my imagination, but what causes such an issue?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not good. Probably your steering shaft knuckle/ U joint is failing. You could be soon without steering control.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
postwick

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For others who may find this thread...

Apparently if it's not too bad (like mine) a shot of penetrating oil can resolve it temporarily. The fix itself isn't expensive and isn't difficult. One of the great things about these old Fords, I'm finding - if you have the basic mechanical skills parts are cheap and this kind of maintenance isn't a bug deal.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some kids got killed driving an Expedition on I4 in FL a few years back. The surviving passenger reported the teenage female driver struggling with the steering wheel. No blowout. Car just steered itself to the right and overturned on an embankment. I would not trust a bit of WD40 with my life. These vehicles have a very overstressed steering system.

OP
OP
postwick

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some kids got killed driving an Expedition on I4 in FL a few years back. The surviving passenger reported the teenage female driver struggling with the steering wheel. No blowout. Car just steered itself to the right and overturned on an embankment. I would not trust a bit of WD40 with my life. These vehicles have a very overstressed steering system.

Well except for the one instance where I thought I noticed it, it hasn't done it since. And it wasn't severe. And that's with doing 3 days of twisty mountain road driving, hasn't happened again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360