What’s a safe build date?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you are paying cash used makes zero sense right now. When shopping For F-150s interest rates on used were absolutely insane. Ford is offering 0% for 36 months on new. Even if you stretch it out the rates on new are way lower and you have full new warranty. I literally couldn’t make sense of even buying used when I shopped the last few weeks.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do I want to trade the burban if it's trouble free? Do you not like it? Since coming from a platinum to a mid trim lt, is it a hard transition?
Have had several near-miss accidents due to the blind spots, which was not an issue on the Expedition.
Not true. Units built before 2020 have to deal with poor cam phaser design, the original versions of the 10R80 (new units supposedly have updated clutch drums), and a host of other issues (sticking thermostats come to mind).
Did 2020 get the revised 10R80?

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you are paying cash used makes zero sense right now. When shopping For F-150s interest rates on used were absolutely insane. Ford is offering 0% for 36 months on new. Even if you stretch it out the rates on new are way lower and you have full new warranty. I literally couldn’t make sense of even buying used when I shopped the last few weeks.
My local credit Union is in the 4% range on anything 0-3 years old, so it’s similar. I’m not afraid to travel to buy, but have the trade-in and in Northern Michigan, there is almost no new Expedition inventory to be had.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have had several near-miss accidents due to the blind spots, which was not an issue on the Expedition.

Did 2020 get the revised 10R80?
Not sure when the new versions of the CDF drum for the 10R80 was introduced. I’ve seen mention of the new drum on F150 forums, recently. This may be a relatively new attempt at a fix that’s come out or it may have been out for a little bit and only just now people are noticing a part number change.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if Ford has used the new clutch drum in OEM application or if that’s just being done by rebuilders. I haven’t found a clear answer.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can see that, the gms you sit lower to the floor, but the dash is higher so it feels like your sunken inside. Did they drive that much different, since your sub didn't have the vaulted air springs?

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can see that, the gms you sit lower to the floor, but the dash is higher so it feels like your sunken inside. Did they drive that much different, since your sub didn't have the vaulted air springs?
We went from a Platinum Max to a Suburban LT, so there's a definite downgrade in equipment level. Suburban actually drives better than our 75k mile Platinum Max did, as I suspect my rear shocks were toast on the Expy......Burb has standard non-magnetic suspension and works fine for me. 5.3 / 10-speed is actually sufficiently quick for me and gets good mpg. Some of the switchgear in the Suburban is absolute garbage-cheap, like some of the HVAC buttons and the turn signal stalk..... leather feels super cheap compared to the Platinum..........obviously, we're not comparing apples to apples here, I know some of the leather and soft-touch materials are nicer in a High Country/Denali.

But that's not why we will ultimately get rid of the Suburban.................the A-pillar is absolutely MASSIVE, and the front mirrors are huge, as they have cameras on the ends for the 360* system.......somehow Ford figures out how to do this without making the A-pillar blind spot so bad. I have comparison pics, I'll see if I can post them

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Suburban (red reflective tape is a reminder for us to double-check before turning)

Attachments

• EC9C99F9-C5DF-453E-96AC-AC182CD7158C.jpeg
    EC9C99F9-C5DF-453E-96AC-AC182CD7158C.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The A-pillar spot on the Burb is actually worse from the driver's seat, I just happened to have that pic on my phone.

I even went and bought a 1.5" seat spacer lift kit on Ebay, which puts a spacer under the seat frame and raises it up 1.5"......it helps a little, but not enough.