what are the output specs on air ride compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm cheap and I had and idea.

I have a 99 expedition that was converted from air ride to coils.
that leaves my compressor open to use elsewhere,....maybe.

I was wondering if anyone has, or knows the output specs on the air ride compressor?

here's my idea, remember I'm cheap.
I want to find a 2.5 or 3 gallon air compressor like the kind you can find all over lowes and home depot meijer and kmart alike.( the small 150psi 110v plain jane) But I want to find one that has a bad motor on top and a good tank so I get it for a steal, then scavenge the tank.

then I want to use the stock air ride compressor to fill the tank up to 150psi
I am aware that this could only be used for "very light duty" at best. and that the pump will still fail on the inside of a few years, I'm cool with that. can I make it work until I have to invest in a new proper compressor?
I value all of your opinions so let's have em.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The setup that I used for my old Scout II was an air tank bumper (about 3.5 gal cap) and a small compressor from Harbor Freight. Because of the tank capacity, the air was much more useful than you would think. You could use an air gun (in short bursts) to actually remove a wheel.

I would suggest a small $50 compressor and an air tank from Harbor Freight. You'll be in to it for under $100 and be able to hit 115 psi. I doubt that the stock pump will go that high, but I suppose you could test it to see.

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I want to stay as close to 150psi and as close to a 3+ gallon tank as I can. and here's why; I want the 150 psi because I will be putting on 33'' tall tires, an air horn rated for 150 psi, and it's just more convenient to have more pressure to run air tools, even if in small bursts.

If harbor freight supplies a 150 psi mini compressor (or amazon ebay cragaislist whatever) for about $100 then it's going in the originals place (fitment allowing)
and scrap that old hunk of crap, I doubt it'll do 150psi anyway, I'm just curious.

as for the tank since I do dumb stuff in the woods, I'm not comfortable with having a compressed tank of air under my truck. but I am willing to let it take up room in the rear cargo area.

With the back seats up (second row, not third) the distance from plastic trim to plastic trim across the floor is 48.5 inches,
I have a single 12 sub in a "stock" 3/4'' ported box, with the way it ill be positioned it takes up 14 inches leaving me 34.5 inches for an air tank.

more specifically I have an area 34.5" L x 17" W x 19" T that I COULD devote to a tank

a 2 gallon take measures Dim: 19"L x 6.0"w x 7.5"H plenty or room.
a 2.5 gallon tank measures 23.5'L by same by same, again no issue
a 5 gallon... Dim: 20.7''L x 9.0''w x 10.5''H , no sweating yet
and the 8 gallon compressor I use for odd jobs in the garage, it's tank measures
25"L x 10"W x 13"T, plenty by plenty by plenty.

so I have to decide what size tank is really for me. ( I'm thinking in the 2-5gal. range)

then find a heck of a deal on a tank that is safe to use, then buy either one well made high out put type of compressor, or I may buy two less expensive units and run them together for a shorter duty cycle under emergency/heavy use. we'll see what the flea markets bring.

I wouldn't imagine that plumbing a scavenged tank to accept any manner of common compressor and supplied air outlets would be as simple as a trip to the local plumbing store for plugs/adapters things of that nature. am I right in this assumption?

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know if you have this at walmart in the states, but here in canada they sell a 5gal hyundai tank for 39$. I'm using one for my air horns, but filling it manually from the garage compressor, not using the Expy air ride compressor.
Another thing you'll need to hook it up to the expy compressor is a pressure switch that shuts off the compressor when the tank's recommended pressure has been reached.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344126311.064117.jpg

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would consider adapting an air tank, as long as the tank could handle 150+ psi and has an inlet for feeding air into the tank, and a way to get two outlets, one for quick connects, and one for a 3/8" hose to feed the air horn.
that's what I'm hoping to be able to do, cause even with couplers and other threaded parts, I'd still be WAY under the 300+$ it takes to get on board air.
so If I can get a good tank for $10-$30, I'll already be in great shape.

if it will work. I gotta know first.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition