What brand of struts ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dziubad

Reaction score
My 2012 Exp EL decided to leave a puddle underneath the passengers rear strut. I'm having trouble deciding which brand of aftermarket struts to replace both rears. Or to just go motor craft? Wasn't planning on getting preloaded, just the strut.

Really pissed that I can only find Rancho's preloaded with a lift...if I need to do all four, I'd go that route.

What brand do you recommend, or not recommend, and why...how was the ride?

Has anyone done the Rancho kit on just the rear and waited to do the front?

Last edited:

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would go with a heavy duty Bilstein shocks. They come with a lifetime warranty. I had them on my 2005 Ford Excursion and the difference was amazing. Truck handled better and stopped better because the nose would not dip during hard braking. If they made Bilstein's for my 2017 I would have them already.

Front 24-197717
Rear 24-197724

https://us.bilstein.com/en/product-...22366385160018&SubModelId=1815180533636079760

From the website:

Bilstein B6 4600 shock absorbers are designed as a direct fit upgrade to OE shock absorbers on stock height light trucks and SUV’s. These shock absorbers feature a monotube design which provides consistent fade free performance. B6 4600 shock absorbers utilize a unique, velocity sensitive, digressive piston which reacts to changing road conditions. All B6 4600 shock absorbers are tuned for each specific application to ensure optimal performance is achieved. B6 4600 shock absorbers offer a significant improvement in ride quality, handling, and comfort.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2012 Exp EL decided to leave a puddle underneath the passengers rear strut. I'm having trouble deciding which brand of aftermarket struts to replace both rears. Or to just go motor craft? Wasn't planning on getting preloaded, just the strut.

Really pissed that I can only find Rancho's preloaded with a lift...if I need to do all four, I'd go that route.

What brand do you recommend, or not recommend, and why...how was the ride?

Has anyone done the Rancho kit on just the rear and waited to do the front?

Make sure you have stock struts in the back if not the first owner and going strut-only... I hear KYB and possibly others have products with incompatible spring perches

ttriff

Reaction score
Put Bilsteins front and rear on my 08 Expy a couple of months ago. The 'new' ride is great, not to firm but eliminates "pogoing".
Steering is more accurate and less vague

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Note that Rancho doesn't recommend their rear quick lift struts with the EL model. I swapped over my stock springs to the new shocks when installing the rear and it rides nice. It's an easy swap if you've got a spring compressor and pass-through socket set to get the top nut off the strut.

It doesn't lift the rear very much so don't worry about appearances with the stock front.

Matt_N

Reaction score
I would go with a heavy duty Bilstein shocks. They come with a lifetime warranty. I had them on my 2005 Ford Excursion and the difference was amazing. Truck handled better and stopped better because the nose would not dip during hard braking. If they made Bilstein's for my 2017 I would have them already.

Front 24-197717
Rear 24-197724

https://us.bilstein.com/en/product-...22366385160018&SubModelId=1815180533636079760

From the website:

Bilstein B6 4600 shock absorbers are designed as a direct fit upgrade to OE shock absorbers on stock height light trucks and SUV’s. These shock absorbers feature a monotube design which provides consistent fade free performance. B6 4600 shock absorbers utilize a unique, velocity sensitive, digressive piston which reacts to changing road conditions. All B6 4600 shock absorbers are tuned for each specific application to ensure optimal performance is achieved. B6 4600 shock absorbers offer a significant improvement in ride quality, handling, and comfort.

I assume these fit all 3rd gens? I have a 2010. Bilstein's website doesn't seem to list 2010 Expedition.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume these fit all 3rd gens? I have a 2010. Bilstein's website doesn't seem to list 2010 Expedition.

These part numbers are for a 2012 XLT EL. I dont see a listing for your 2010 model. I didn't see anything for my 17 EL either. Bummer! :favorites68: