What Can I Tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
read your owners manual If you don't have one go to owner.ford.com and download a copy
Also go to ford etis and enter your vin number it will give you information as to what all was on the expy when built /QUOTE]

^^^^ X2, they may be thinking you need to upgrade your factory hitch to pull more than 5000 lbs. I would investigate what your hitch is good for before spending $$$ on an upgrade though.

2012max

Reaction score
We tow a rockwood 8311ss with our 2012 limited max. Trailer 7000 dry 7700 wet with a hitch weight of 800 loaded ready to go.

BEAR5oh

Reaction score
The search and possible aquisition of a tow hauler/trailer is getting closer. I can't wait to have one to haul everything out to remote spots or to my series RC car races so I can stop paying money on hotels and such.

B.

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how do you know if you have towing packet ? or HD towing packet ? do they offer this on 05 XLT 2wd model ?

kcallis

Reaction score
I have never towed anything in my life, but now have an idea to get a trailer for my move from Maine to California. I have my eye on a 35' Royal Diamond. Although I am waiting to hear from the owner, I believe that the weight is about 5500lbs. I am driving a 99' Expedition (Eddie Bauer 5.4l) fortunately with only 120K in mileage and a replaced tranny with 75K. I am considering removing my air shock for struts because there seems to be issue with the air bag (the compressor seems to constantly run).

Based on what I read above, it would seem that the trailer is towable. My question is what do I need to add to make the work properly. I have seen weight distributed hitches(?). What else do I have to look at purchasing to make moving 35' easier?

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you've never towed anything, then my first suggestion is to not tow something that big. But, likely you'll try, so read on ;-)

If the trailer does only weigh 5500lbs dry, then technically it is under the recommended weight limits. That said, a 35ft trailer on a 1/2 ton chassis will be white knuckle regardless of what you do to mitigate the fact that it's pretty much a sail!

Weight distribution hitch, really good sway control, trailer brake controller, aux transmission cooler, transmission temp gauge, and a properly loaded trailer will make it doable.

Also, especially if you're having difficulties already, I would first do the coil spring conversion, it's cheap and easy and I love mine.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never towed anything in my life, but now have an idea to get a trailer for my move from Maine to California. I have my eye on a 35' Royal Diamond. Although

That is a lot of length for a expedition and a long distance to travel, being you never towed before

Strongly recommend that you follow mediamonkeyII suggestion and also consider using duel sway control The last thing you need is to be caught off guard when a big truck come past you. Just keep your distance from them when they pass.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I tow my 32 foot continental 8*** something pounds, 350 miles one way with no proplom

Dude, seriously?

He said he's never towed anything. The input he's receiving is based mainly on his inexperience, not whether the truck can handle it.

Please stop spewing bad advice.