What do I need to do to get this broken off bolt out of the exhaust flange?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

black_mamba

Reaction score
I don’t think that vid will work for me considering it’s not broke off all the way in it’s still able to have something circular to grip it and twist it off I tried a 13 socket it but it won’t grip it like it should since it’s circular

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PB BLASTER & PIPE WRENCH?

You may end up breaking the bolt further down, then you can
drill it out.

Last edited:

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a tool that will grip that stud like a pipe wrench, forget what it's called, round tool that you turn with a socket. Key to remove that stud is heating the surrounding area on the manifold and if there's room use a pair of channelocks on stud.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manifold is still attached to the motor in the vehicle ? At a minimum it's gonna take a torch to turn that flange red hot. If you don't have a torch, take it to a muffler shop and they'll get it out. If it's bad enough they may say replace the manifold.

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
There are several ways you can use to remove the stud. The firts thing you need to do is apply pentrating oil and let it sits for a couple of day while applying more enetrant which will help break some of the rust; you can tap it some to help pentration. Now you can use the double nut technique to extract the stud with wrenches; if you are liucky the stud will come out easily. You can also apply heat with a torch to losen it further. Some prefer to weld the nut to the stud and use a socket. Some people recommned using an impact wrench to loosen the stud, others claim that an impact will break the stud. If it breaks, grind it even with the manifold and then use an extractor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1