What drivetrain mode for chains on all 4 wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LV1976

Reaction score
I tried a search but didn't find an answer, what mode would you use if you are driving in snow/ice with chains on all 4 wheels? 4HI or Auto?

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think if I were in the situation where I needed chains on all 4 wheels, I would use 4x4 to get maximum traction. 4Auto needs a smidgen of slip to engage the clutches so I wouldn't think you would benefit as much from the front chains.

Better yet, if I had to have chains on all 4 wheels I would stay off of the roads and keep warm! :D

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My first question "Why the hell would you want to go ANYWHERE that required you to chain up all 4 tires on an Expy"???
My opinion regarding chains on an Expy in the snow: When you have to put them on, it is time to turn around and go back. You are not getting any higher in the hills.
If you are talking about chaining up your Expy for driving on snow covered roads, that's a whole different discussion of fail.

But to answer your question, 4h would be your best option for driving on ice with chains.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed 4hi, but I have never had a problem getting through MN snow and ice on just a good set of tires and A4WD, even on steep hills. I have driven through 2 feet of standing snow on my way to the Mall of America and made it without issue.

Where are you planning on going with the chains?

OP
OP
L

LV1976

Reaction score
Depending on where you go chains are required by law to go past certain points, some you don't need chains if you have a 4wd vehicle with snow tires. So it's not that uncommon.

Thanks to everybody for your answers, I was asking mainly for icy roads heading up to the mountains, no offroad type stuff. I don't have snow tires on the vehicle, just Falken Wild Peak A/T. When I lived up in Oregon and I was headed up to Mt. Hood for some snowboarding, the roads would get slushy during the day and then refreeze back into ice in the evening when the temps dropped again, and chains were required not just for getting going, but stopping was important too. Assuming the same scenario, wouldn't it be better to have all 4 tires chained up? If you only had 2 chained and in 4HI, wouldn't that change the turning ratio of the front and rear wheels, causing the diff to try to catch up?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Definitely 4 hi, unless you are really slogging through some nasty stuff at less than 20mph, then you could go 4 low.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks to everybody for your answers, I was asking mainly for icy roads heading up to the mountains, no offroad type stuff. I don't have snow tires on the vehicle, just Falken Wild Peak A/T. When I lived up in Oregon and I was headed up to Mt. Hood for some snowboarding, the roads would get slushy during the day and then refreeze back into ice in the evening when the temps dropped again, and chains were required not just for getting going, but stopping was important too. Assuming the same scenario, wouldn't it be better to have all 4 tires chained up? If you only had 2 chained and in 4HI, wouldn't that change the turning ratio of the front and rear wheels, causing the diff to try to catch up?

4Hi locks the center diff so if you only had to have chains on 2 wheels it wouldn't affect anything. If you were in A4wd then the diff would have to engage whenever slip was detected between the front and rear tires. If you're chaining up, regardless of number of tires, 4Hi is what you should use.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I don't think the chains would add enough to be noticeable in the drivetrain if you only had them on two tires. However, chaining up all 4 means better traction, and so if you are trying to slide 2.5 tons of metal down sheer ice it would not be a bad idea to have all 4 chained.

By the same theory, 4L is kind of the Expedition's crawler gear, so I might use that on the hills going up and down just to try and keep everything spinning at low speed. That's just me though. Others may feel differently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LV1976

Reaction score
I don't think the chains would add enough to be noticeable in the drivetrain if you only had them on two tires. However, chaining up all 4 means better traction, and so if you are trying to slide 2.5 tons of metal down sheer ice it would not be a bad idea to have all 4 chained.

By the same theory, 4L is kind of the Expedition's crawler gear, so I might use that on the hills going up and down just to try and keep everything spinning at low speed. That's just me though. Others may feel differently.

Thank you all again for your helpful recommendations.