What exactly does Sport Mode do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryoung57

Reaction score
Does Sport change something within the ELSD? I notice the rear inside tire chirps/shudders while turning in sport. Doesn’t matter if it’s in 2H or 4A.

It also does it in Sand and Mud modes

Last edited:

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, it does not change the ELSD. It does engage the center diff from the onset in all 3 of those modes (sport, Sand, and Mud) It does make throttle response more linear so you likely have more acceleration at the same throttle position.
If inside tire chirps, you over-powered it (i.e. accelerating more than the friction of the tire can maintain with the turn radius). The inside tire always spins slower than the outside tire, and differentials are designed to enable that.
if you notice odd behavior, like tires skipping or binding, your diffs are locked which can cause failure if you keep doing that.

OP
OP
R

ryoung57

Reaction score
No, it does not change the ELSD. It does engage the center diff from the onset in all 3 of those modes (sport, Sand, and Mud) It does make throttle response more linear so you likely have more acceleration at the same throttle position.
If inside tire chirps, you over-powered it (i.e. accelerating more than the friction of the tire can maintain with the turn radius). The inside tire always spins slower than the outside tire, and differentials are designed to enable that.
if you notice odd behavior, like tires skipping or binding, your diffs are locked which can cause failure if you keep doing that.
It’s happening at barely more than idle. I’ll have to take it in, which is bs because I’ve only had the stupid thing 3 days.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s happening at barely more than idle. I’ll have to take it in, which is bs because I’ve only had the stupid thing 3 days.
There are a lot of variables here, so if you can replicate it for them it would be good to understand what they say.

OP
OP
R

ryoung57

Reaction score
There are a lot of variables here, so if you can replicate it for them it would be good to understand what they say.
I’m trying to eliminate as many of those variables as possible. It really feels like the differential is hanging up, forcing the inside tire to try to turn as fast as the outside. It seems to be worse on the drivers side.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m trying to eliminate as many of those variables as possible. It really feels like the differential is hanging up, forcing the inside tire to try to turn as fast as the outside. It seems to be worse on the drivers side.
The elsd should only engage with current. Try to pull the fuse or disconnect the connector on the rear axle case. I'm assuming you do not have the locker engaged (green icon on dash with x between rear wheels)

OP
OP
R

ryoung57

Reaction score
The elsd should only engage with current. Try to pull the fuse or disconnect the connector on the rear axle case. I'm assuming you do not have the locker engaged (green icon on dash with x between rear wheels)
I just got back from driving it around in circles in a parking lot for half an hour. I’m more stumped now than before.

At take off, almost exclusively when turning left, it will buck and shake from the rear. It happens sometimes in normal or eco, almost every time in sport. When turning tight circles, there is a constant rubbing sound from under the car.

This may be two different things or somehow connected.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anytime the vehicle is in 4x4 mode you will hear crunching while on regular pavement while turning slowly especially. My navigator does this as well