What exactly does Sport Mode do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got back from driving it around in circles in a parking lot for half an hour. I’m more stumped now than before.

At take off, almost exclusively when turning left, it will buck and shake from the rear. It happens sometimes in normal or eco, almost every time in sport. When turning tight circles, there is a constant rubbing sound from under the car.

This may be two different things or somehow connected.
Bring it for service. The symptoms you’re describing are a faulty differential.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sport mode enables 4A on my 2019, but I haven't noticed any differential binding even under heavy throttle while turning sharply. 2019 limited stealth with hd tow. 4A does seem to have just a bit of torque steer, more than my wife's Mercedes E350 4Matic, which is always in "4A"

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '23 Stealth Package (Not SPP) with the CCD & eLSD. If I get on it in sport mode from a stop at a turn I will hear the right side tire scuff, but it only does it if I get on it a bit too much.
But you bring up a good question. What does sport mode do?
I know throttle response/mapping is improved and shift points change.
It appears that the eLSD isn't involved and is a manual on/off thing.
But does it change the damping of the CCD system?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '23 Stealth Package (Not SPP) with the CCD & eLSD. If I get on it in sport mode from a stop at a turn I will hear the right side tire scuff, but it only does it if I get on it a bit too much.
But you bring up a good question. What does sport mode do?
I know throttle response/mapping is improved and shift points change.
It appears that the eLSD isn't involved and is a manual on/off thing.
But does it change the damping of the CCD system?
Your right it changes throttle mapping and steering heft. If you have ccd, it tightens the suspension to a considerable degree. I actually prefer the sport mode ride in city streets, it's more comfy to me.

OP
OP
R

ryoung57

Reaction score
Your right it changes throttle mapping and steering heft. If you have ccd, it tightens the suspension to a considerable degree. I actually prefer the sport mode ride in city streets, it's more comfy to me.
I prefer it too, but I don't prefer the rear axle hopping like it's trying to escape every time I turn.

If you put it in sport mode and make a tight left turn circle, does it sound like something's rubbing back there?

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the rear locking differential button on? It sounds terrible when that is on and you are turning. My dog steps on that one every once in a while

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I prefer it too, but I don't prefer the rear axle hopping like it's trying to escape every time I turn.

If you put it in sport mode and make a tight left turn circle, does it sound like something's rubbing back there?
Mines doesn't, but mines is rwd

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I go into sport, i switch it back to 2H. I still need to test out the different modes and tire scrubbing under controlled conditions.

I love the way CCD tames body movement.