What is behind this panel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

USMCEXP

Reaction score
It looks like a sub encloure behind the panel. It is a black "case" that takes up the entire inside of the rear passenger side panel. It must have some fans in it, can hear them runnig when I turn on the blower. Thre is also some metal hoses runing behind thre that get pretty hot, so there must be a heater core in there also. I id not see a factory amp, but have not pulled the panel to look. I think I am going to tackle the amp install. Just need to figure out how to get the dash apart and pull the head unit. Does anybody have the wiring schematic that would tell me what wires I need to tap into for the speaker line level converters, and th remote turn on for the amp? I just can't bring myself to pay over $100 for the labor...

mark620

Reaction score
Passenger side is a ac/heater for the rear. Drivers side panel it the factory sub location. Pop out the tray and cup holder and you can see down inside the panel. I don't know what would be back there? The best place to get the speaker wires is before they go into doors. Out of the head unit will go into the amp and the colors are diffrent. Plus its not right and left front and rear, they use signal wires. Ford uses the same color wires for so many things so it gets confuseing, I have the wire breakdown if you want. I will email it if you like. It gives you both sync and non sync. breakdowns.

OP
OP
U

USMCEXP

Reaction score
Passenger side is a ac/heater for the rear. Drivers side panel it the factory sub location. Pop out the tray and cup holder and you can see down inside the panel. I don't know what would be back there? The best place to get the speaker wires is before they go into doors. Out of the head unit will go into the amp and the colors are diffrent. Plus its not right and left front and rear, they use signal wires. Ford uses the same color wires for so many things so it gets confuseing, I have the wire breakdown if you want. I will email it if you like. It gives you both sync and non sync. breakdowns.

I got the wire color breakdown from another member, but they were way off. Ended up pulling the door panels off to figure out the speaker wires. Now I need to find something to tie the amp's remote turn on wire into...any ideas? I already purchased a line level converter without the built in remote turn on, so I don't want to have to buy another one...

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
find a fuse thats on with the ignition, find the wire that is the radio power(not the constant power/memory power), or hook it to a switch so you can turn the sub off and keep the radio settings the same.(not have to play with bass/tremble)

mark620

Reaction score
I know you already got a line level converter, but if you got one with signal summing for turn on thats the best way to go. That way you avoid any amp turn on pop or a unwanted power off . You can find a rockford 360.2 pretty cheap on ebay and that thing would give you the world.....The factory head units have weak signals so a good line level with adjustment and some eq settings makes that weak signal sound much better..