What is the best oil to put in the 5.4L 3v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMW468

Reaction score
Do you guys believe Mobil 1 full synthetic is a better call than the OEM grade Motorcraft oil and filter??

I bought my 2002 F-150 crew cab with the 5.4 brand new. I put 120K on it and changed my oil every 3000 miles with Motorcraft 5W-20 oil and a Motorcraft filter and had ZERO issues with that motor.

Last week I traded it in on an 05 Expedition with only 65K original miles. Service records ahowed that it had the oil changed at the Ford dealer every 4000 miles and I want to continue the trend of regular oil changes. I had planned on using Motorcraft oil and filter as I did on my F-150 but have no problem with switching to Mobil 1.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys believe Mobil 1 full synthetic is a better call than the OEM grade Motorcraft oil and filter??

I bought my 2002 F-150 crew cab with the 5.4 brand new. I put 120K on it and changed my oil every 3000 miles with Motorcraft 5W-20 oil and a Motorcraft filter and had ZERO issues with that motor.

Last week I traded it in on an 05 Expedition with only 65K original miles. Service records ahowed that it had the oil changed at the Ford dealer every 4000 miles and I want to continue the trend of regular oil changes. I had planned on using Motorcraft oil and filter as I did on my F-150 but have no problem with switching to Mobil 1.

In my opinion they seem to be able the same from the amount of research I've been doing lately.
Personally (although more expensive) I'm going to go with the Mobil 1 full synthetic with synthetic filters on my 2006 from now on it already seems to have made the expy tin stronger and my buddy with a 5.0 F150 runs the same and has no issues at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMW468

Reaction score
In my opinion they seem to be able the same from the amount of research I've been doing lately.
Personally (although more expensive) I'm going to go with the Mobil 1 full synthetic with synthetic filters on my 2006 from now on it already seems to have made the expy tin stronger and my buddy with a 5.0 F150 runs the same and has no issues at all

I'll give Mobil 1 a try. My wife's car is a 2012 Acura RDX that we bought new and that calls for Mobil 1 from the factory. I've been changing her oil every 4000 miles since new with Mobil 1 and at 4000 miles that oil is still very clean. So I have no issues running it in my Expedition. When I do my first oil change it will be with Mobil 1.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! Yeah I loved seeing that Mobil 1 go into my expy I could just hear the trucks sigh of relief "figuratively" lol

Maloburro

Reaction score
Honestly at 3-4000 miles between changes most oils should still look really clean. Mobil 1 extended performance says you can go 15k but most filters limit life to 7-10k between changes.

The GM dealer where I take my LS2 which requires Mobil1 says 5-6000 is fine, which for me is about a year.

My S10 4.3L was at 230,000 miles (towing and flogging) when I sold it running 10k Mobil1 and other synthetics between changes.

Again, people should do what they feel is best. I've ran all other synthetic oils when there wasn't a sale on Mobil 1 with good results so far, at 10k per change. Mobil 1 is definitely not the only game in town. It's your motor though, and if you run it that long and something fails you might blame the long interval (or me lol).

As has been mentioned, the 3000 interval comes from the older engines which were less precise and running leaded gas, among many other factors. It seems most agree the auto service industry has let that interval stand due to $.

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Motor craft 5w20 is a group3 base oil. Still good oil. Try it and test it to see how it works for you.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always considered Mobil 1 to be a step above the competition, but seems I bought into the hype like many others. This guy performed independent testing and found Mobil 1 to be one of the poorer performing synthetics. In fact, it was even outperformed by Mobil's own synthetic blend. The clear winner by a mile in his testing was Royal Purple. All of that said most who have performed their own testing would agree that timely, regular oil changes are far more important than the type/brand of oil you use.

Anecdotally, I've put between 230-360K miles on the last 4 vehicles I have owned and never had a motor go on me. I always just used whatever oil was on special at the time (Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil, etc.) and changed it every 4-6K miles. Of course I wasn't dealing with a POS like the 5.4L Triton.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've switched to royal purple...there was a thread or someone bashing it giving a lot of feedback of why not to use it...I can oink say for my truck is running smoother with it...doing a change in the next 2 wks #royal purple

Mr. 10K