What would be involved in adding heated mirrors to my XLT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now that the colder mornings are arriving I have noticed how much I miss my heated mirrors on my last vehicle and being a large truck they certainly would make for safer travel, lane changing etc. I wonder if the wiring is already there and if it as easy as just buying mirrors from an EB as I think they had htd mirrors.
If not I may buy a junk mirror from a junk yard, see how hard it is to get the mirror off of the housing and maybe find some sort of heated strip to glue back there then just wire it into the rear defrost switch.
What does Thermo say?lol

I see some here, with power and heat for less than $30- I would think this is just the glass part though
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1999/ford/expedition/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/mirror.html
Yup- this one here is the whole housing , glass, power and heated-I think it can be done easily
http://www.carid.com/1998-ford-expedition-side-mirrors/item-1101352.html

Last edited:

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure about the 1st gens but i have been in the dash on my 2nd gen and noticed that all the wiring is there for options on the EB and limited like message center buttons. Mine even has the sub harness on the stereo but not in the back where the sub goes.

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since I purchased my 2002 Expedition (2 years ago) I have always been intrigued by the "Heated" word on the mirror....What is that? How does it work?...No idea...

Firepuppy

Reaction score
if the heated name is on your mirror then you have heated mirrors they are suppose to come on when you push the rear window defrost there is no way of telling if they are on unless you have ice, snow, fog on them and you push the defrost button and see if they clearup

Firepuppy

Reaction score
j87lx

I have a 99 ford expo and bought a set of mirrors with both the turn signal and heated in them there was no wiring in mine for that so i had to run the wiring and put it on a momentary switch so they only work for so long and shut off if you want to go to Contact they are the ones that ford buys from and they have kits for this with all wiring and video installations,

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 99 ford expo and bought a set of mirrors with both the turn signal and heated in them there was no wiring in mine for that so i had to run the wiring and put it on a momentary switch so they only work for so long and shut off if you want to go to Contact they are the ones that ford buys from and they have kits for this with all wiring and video installations,

Thanks for the info, I have been somewhat curious about that myself.

Unfortunately the link does not seem to go anywhere useful, is this perhaps the right place?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford Wiring manual shows heated mirrors as an option. Just need to find a donor car in the bone yard. both are fed with one hot wire, dk/vt and controlled from the heated grid relay.