What year 5.4l stop having cam tensioner problems,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am also looking for a Exp or Navi. Having owned a few and learning about their issues (and cost) I just wanted a full size older suv and I still like the sound of the 5.4l 3v.
After servicing 2 air ride suspension I almost rather get an Exp with coils but some years/models they have air suspension. How can I tell which ones have coil by the years/models?
As far as I know air suspension was always an option, but it came along with most of the "premium" packages (like Eddie Bauer). There was also a couple of years that Ford used a weird (European) rear hydraulic self leveling system on certain models (no external lines or pumps but very $$$ if they leak). They were easy to swap to coil overs.

EDIT: From Wikipedia :
2014 model year - A new, quieter, mechanical Nivomat adaptive hydraulic load-leveling suspension system is available, in place of the adaptive pneumatic air-ride load-leveling suspension.

I had a 06 Navi that Ford diagnosed with phaser/timing chain issues that I drove and towed with. I bought all the parts needed to repair but turns out it wasn't that. There was a noise at start up but I believe it was exhaust leak and the misfire codes I think were associated with the SB they had on bad diodes in alternator causing misfire codes in 4.6l/5.4l. It ran strong and gave me good economy so another mechanic thought the engine was fine.
It is SO DEPRESSING to keep reading about folks who can not find COMPETENT, reliable and affordable mechanics !

This stuff is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE !

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were still offering the Nivomat system for self leveling on the rear of the 2017 Expeditions. Apparently the motion of going up and down helps level the rear of the vehicle.

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is SO DEPRESSING to keep reading about folks who can not find COMPETENT, reliable and affordable mechanics !

This stuff is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE !
Problem is, for every profession, there will be good, average and lousy practicioners of the craft. Unless you've done mechanical work yourself, it's hard to know which one is which.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agonized over the v8 vs v6 a long time. I spent a ton of time lurking here before joining, I did a ton of internet research on both engines and the various iterations of expys. Armed with that info, I felt it best from my personal opinion to choose the TTv6 ecoboost expy. Better MPG, more power, no known major issues yet (intercooler condensation was a problem for a few years, but I think that's resolved now). I bought my Expy last week with 60k on the clock and I'm hoping to get a lot of trouble free miles out of her. I have always owned Toyotas and both my Camry and Land Cruiser went to 300,000 miles without any issues at all. Here's to hoping the Ford makes me a believer.

Harley Owner

Reaction score
my 2004 5.4 3v has 250,000 no issues at all then changing parts b4 winter changed alternator water pump all things never been changed. all of sudden started getting hot. no matter what I did nothing changed it. finally gave into everyone head gaskets started tearing it down pulled new water pump off the fins on back of it stayed in motor. buddy and i like wtf..never have I seen one snap like that on shaft nothing was stuck or bent. in negotiations with advanced auto,. think there gonna put new motor in ol girl.just my luck trying to be pre emptive and it shafted me lol

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 2004 5.4 3v has 250,000 no issues at all then changing parts b4 winter changed alternator water pump all things never been changed. all of sudden started getting hot. no matter what I did nothing changed it. finally gave into everyone head gaskets started tearing it down pulled new water pump off the fins on back of it stayed in motor. buddy and i like wtf..never have I seen one snap like that on shaft nothing was stuck or bent. in negotiations with advanced auto,. think there gonna put new motor in ol girl.just my luck trying to be pre emptive and it shafted me lol
That's really odd. Is there no way to get the fins out or are they gone into the passages?

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lot of Ford water pumps use plastic impellers which can get brittle as they get old and break into pieces. I had that happen on my 6.0 Powerstroke diesel. I replaced it with a billet aluminum impeller.