whats the biggest tire I can get under my expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dphillips067

Reaction score
Right now I have 265/70/17 and i am thinking about a 2" twist and 3" body lft and would like to add larger tires what would be the besy size to run without anymore mods?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
dphillips067, with what you are talking about, you can fit a 35x12.5" tire on the truck. The only clarifier that I will put on it is that you will have to run an 8" rim with 4.5" of backspacing.

The other thing that I will tell you to consider is what gear ratio you have in the truck. If you have the 3.73 gear, then you will be just fine. I ran this combo for like 6 years before I stepped up to 37" tires. The downside to this combination is that you must reprogram the computer else you will take a big hit in the mileage department (I lost 4 mpg, but gained 2 back after the reprogram) and you have to now also watch what you tow with the truck. The bigger tires are going to essentially make it as if your truck has a 3.31 rear end in it. If you look, trucks with the 3.31 rear end have a reduced towing capacity.

if you have 3.55 gears, then 35's may be a bit much. Can you run the truck with them and 35's. Sure. But, the question is how much strain you are putting on the tranny and are you willing to chance damaging the tranny, especially when you are hauling around either a lot of weight inside the truck or attempting to pull a trailer?

If you go with a slightly smaller tire, you can go with a wider rim and get more of the "flat face" look to the tire. Let me know what you are thinking. I have pushed the truck to its limits when it comes to tire sizes and small lifts. I know where each and every limiting spot is on the truck.

OP
OP
D

dphillips067

Reaction score
Thanks Thermo

Well I was considering running like 33" tires I mainly wanted more tire clearence in the wheel well. I believe I do have 3:55's and i DO NOT TOW or intend to. I looked into a suspension lift but, with a4wd Fabtech didn't recomend it due to vibration in the front end. So I think I will just do the twist and coil spacers and a body lift maybe even just the 2" body instaed of 3", I do not go off roading mainly I stay on the pavement. as for Tires my buddy gave me a set of 285/70/17 bf goodrich AT's with maybe 1,000 miles on them. so I will just use those. thanks for the info though it was a big help.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Those will look great with the TT and coil spacer lift. If you are gonna do a body lift, it's a lot of work, and you may as well do the 3 inch if you are gonna go through all the effort. My 315's sit just right with the 5 inches of lift. But having a little more air in the fenderwells will make the lift look bigger. Post up some pics when you are done.

Heydoc

Reaction score
08expedition Xlt 4 wd

Got a deal on some 305/50r 20 to buy wondering if they will fit ?
Any thoughts
Thanks

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should...i've seen 28's (305/28/25) fit with no lift