What's the Symptoms if You Have a BAD Door Lock Actuator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have one more question on the 2003 Expedition, if you don't mind.

Can you all describe for me what kind of behavior I would see if I had a broken door lock actuator?

The problem in question is the passenger front door lock. About 3 months ago the door lock just stopped working and it's in the DOWN position. I can NOT open the door from the outside. None of the door lock buttons work on it. I have even tried to pull the little round nub that's the end of the door lock on in the inside, UP just to get it where I can open the door from the outside like normal, but try as I might, it is frozen solid in the LOCK position. I didn't care much about it cause I am by myself and rarely use the passenger door, but now my niece needs driven to places and she has to get in so I need to figure out what's going on and try as best I can to repair it.

Is there a small motor or something that moves the door lock on and off? Can you think of anything else that would cause this problem? Do these door lock actuators go bad after 100K miles or so, meaning would this be typical for an Expedition of this age and mileage?

Lastly, if it is a door lock actuator, can you point me to anything that would help me locate it, get to it and replace it? I'll have to give it a try myself.
Would instructions for the same year, or year range in the F150 trucks be the same as those replacement instructions on my Expedition?

Sorry for so many questions. I wish I didn't have to ask these things, but my car seems to be acting up all at once.
Thank you all again for your time and help. I appreciate your willingness to help and put up with these amateur questions.

Have a good week.
Larry

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what you are describing sounds like the actuator. it could be one of the connecting arms as well.
they can fail at any time, especially on the primary door due to so many uses. my ['97] left rear passenger door failed after only 5 years.
requires pulling off the trim panel; not tedious, but intricate in spots due to the connecting rods and be careful with the plastic connectors as they are prone to break.
an easily sourced part; plenty of videos out there showing you step-by-step.