what's with the many 2017s I see on the market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fisher_i_am

Reaction score
Ok, I understand the 2018 new model year may be driving some of this, however I can't believe the number of pre-owned 2017 El Limiteds I see on the market. Most have 30-50k miles and can be had for $36-$39k.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one and wonder the history of these vehicles.

My dealer says they get them from canada and due to the heavy discounts offered on the new 2017's last year and the weak canadian dollar they are being priced well...not sure the truth on this.

My question is with such high milage these must be rentals of some sort?

I was a bit worried about this and know the topic has been discussed.

My other question is what is my best course of action on an extended warranty? The one I'm looking at is just shy of 35K miles.

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a Carfax on it it'll tell you if it was a rental car and the rest of the history of the car. If it is a rental car most major rental car companies take extremely good care of their cars oil changes fluids tires brakes the question I guess we would have to debate with yourself would be did one of the people that rented this vehicle drive it like he stole it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like they were rentals. Few guys on here have rentals and no issues

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup. Likely fleets refreshing the fleet.
I have a 2016 that was a fleet truck. Aside from some cosmetic issues taken care of by the dealer I purchased from.
Things are going just fine.

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There were a ton sold to the rental car fleets, and late in the run Ford was offering between $7000-11000 in incentive cash on new sales.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I understand the 2018 new model year may be driving some of this, however I can't believe the number of pre-owned 2017 El Limiteds I see on the market. Most have 30-50k miles and can be had for $36-$39k.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one and wonder the history of these vehicles.

My dealer says they get them from canada and due to the heavy discounts offered on the new 2017's last year and the weak canadian dollar they are being priced well...not sure the truth on this.

My question is with such high milage these must be rentals of some sort?

I was a bit worried about this and know the topic has been discussed.

My other question is what is my best course of action on an extended warranty? The one I'm looking at is just shy of 35K miles.

50k on a '17 is deeply suspicious

Both of mine are ex-fleet and higher than usual mileage, with 134k on my '12 and almost 190k on my '09... but 35 to 50k in a single year???

Your dealer is full of shit imho...

Also, if it's black, then it's been Ubered.

In any case, a '15 lease return for less money with similar or lower miles will make more sense, since it's a single-user low-abuse vehicle. That came on the market at the ecpected time, because 3 years are up, and wasnt dumped early for who knows what reason

If you DO look at a '17 with 50k miles, laugh at their price and offer $25k tops or run away

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 2017 Expedition Limited that was a demo with only 6000 miles. Well taken care of and go a great deal...

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
50k on a '17 is deeply suspicious

Both of mine are ex-fleet and higher than usual mileage, with 134k on my '12 and almost 190k on my '09... but 35 to 50k in a single year???

I wouldn't be surprised is most of the '17s that were leased or purchased ad fleet/rentals have probably been on the road a full two years at this point, maybe three..

If you DO look at a '17 with 50k miles, laugh at their price and offer $25k tops or run away

Many of the Base XLTs I see are listed between $25-29K with miles varying from 39ish to 50ish thousand miles..

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'17s appeared sometime late in 2016, so this being mid-2018, really couldn't have been on the road for three years though

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expect to pay 33-35k for a 17 Expedition xlt with 202a luxury package and less than 36k miles. A limited can be had for the same milage but will have closer to 50k miles on it. Don't buy one unless it is certified pre owned since any Ford dealer will throw this in. It will give you 100k mile power train warranty from manufactured date.