When to trade in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 2019 XLT with all available options at 34K miles and the dealer wants to buy it for $43k which I think is a low ball while they advertise the same year with 50k miles for $49k. I will keep it until 100k miles when my extended warranty expires. :)

bret191

Reaction score
50-58,000 will keep resale value at a good point. And under 26-29 months. OR, like me I still have a 2003 with 235,000 miles on it and looks and drives like new with only a set of plug on coils installed, the power trane has been perfect , no other parts at all! Other than oil/filters brakes/tires.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depreciation is a curve, essentially you lose the most absolute value within the first 3 years, the curve then starts to flatten. a decent rule of thumb is 12%-15% depreciation yearly.
Maintenance is typically the inverse, items wear faster over time, so the first 3-4 years are the most reliable, at year 4-5 you’ll see more maintenance due (same at year 7-8). Maintenance as a % of vehicle price can usually be calculated as 1% the first year doubling every year. For example year 1 on a 60000 vehicle might run $600, where year 4 the same vehicle might be worth 36k but you might expect to spend more like 3k in maintenance.
These are all estimates. Actual values vary, but decent for budgeting.
Good insight! All of our tractors and combines are older too. But they are payed for. That was one of the appeals of the expedition. It can be depreciated on our taxes like the other equipment because it's considered a truck. As well as repairs. It's a win, win. I didn't want a pickup with 3 kids it would have been crowded and hubby wanted something we could use for depreciation. Enter the Max.

bjohnson425

Reaction score
Hopefully yours doesn't fall into the recall range for fires. We got the recall notice early last week after that my wife wants it gone. I don't disagree as it only has 18k and we have had A LOT of issues with it in 14 months. We went to 2 different places this weekend that had something we would trade on and 1 wouldn't touch it with the open recall with no resolution and the other lowballed trade in by about 13K under KBB because of the recall.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good insight! All of our tractors and combines are older too. But they are payed for. That was one of the appeals of the expedition. It can be depreciated on our taxes like the other equipment because it's considered a truck. As well as repairs. It's a win, win. I didn't want a pickup with 3 kids it would have been crowded and hubby wanted something we could use for depreciation. Enter the Max.

for tax deduction purposes the rates may differ