Whining sound during acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldnpaw

Reaction score
Finally!!!!! Whine noise solution!!

2005 expy, engine whine noise in cold weather only, and when running around 2000 rpm...noise would occur when moving, or when vehicle parked. Speed was irrelevant. Every winter for 8 years.....its the alternator. This is NOT. An electrical whine, its a mechanical whine. Had to replace alternator, sound went away instantly. 0 degrees outside, not a sound to be heard. 5.4L v8. .....you would swear it was an airflow noise...but it is not.

shocker1

Reaction score
vibrating hum

i have the 2004 expo and i had that noise last year but nothing that caused concern, but this year it has started getting worse, i thought it was a bearing issue at first, then sorta thought maybe a drive shaft nun of these I've looked into it is just a guess at this point. it used to be a quiet hum till i reached speed of 70MPH + its just gotten lauder and has been more noticeable at lower speeds. its not a vibration like you get from tires or bad brakes, been sitting here trying to find a way to describe .........:boxed:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No hidden supercharger????

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

shocker1

Reaction score
results

took the expo in and found out it was bearings in the rear so the whole rear end had to be taken off and worked on at table, just over a grand later, sound gone.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch. At least the sound us gone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

dvandoormaal

Reaction score
Whirring/moaning sound under the hood

Im having the same sorta problem.

A moaning sound, more so when the truck is cold, that increases with RPM and in certain RPM ranges.

Have a different humming noise at 80-100kph which Im thinking might be the rear end. Its very much due for a fluid change and the truck has over 300k km / 190mi on it so hopefully the fluid/friction modifier will help and its not the rear end gears.

As for the front end whine, the following video is GREAT for checking the belt and tensioner which are apparently notorious. Im gonna try this on my lunch break :gr_grin:

This guy makes AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME video's! I know hes a member here as well. Cant wait to do my hub/bearing replacements using his other video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAaF-XMdF7A

Williamb97

Reaction score
Just got our 2015 Expedition out of the shop for a similar issue. It was caused by the way the electronic control module was mounted. Ford has sent something to dealers about this issue. I wish I had got a copy of it.