Whiny transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The underside looks clean on that for a northern climate but I'd get after that little rocker rust and scrape/grind it off and maybe Ospho then Extend it and then rustoleum 2-3 coats
then maybe consider POR 15 or rubberized undercoating on that edge and the back side as far as you can.

We have a 2000 that was perfect in 2012 and around 16 the rockers started rusting and now are about gone! I never even got under there to inspect them.
A little cleaning and even minor rustoleum would have gone a long way.

Yes, indeed! :)

I already cleaned them with a wire brush and sprayed with rubbery rocker guard spray before I got the truck rustproofed 3 weeks ago.

I just got some chainsaw chain lube in a spray can for $5 and will give them another shot of that stuff when weather allows. Apparently that stuff just won't come off and it's cheap!

I hate rust! :mad:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's lots of theories on Rust prevention but I always like to use some sort of rust converter either ospho which is phosphoric acid and you can get a cheaper brand of it at Home Depot in the outdoor household cleanup products or at least Permatex Extend spray on to chemically treat the remaining rust before I coat it with anything. Then I also like to use Rust-Oleum instead of regular paint since it seems to have so much more rust prevention than plain Automotive Dupli-Color paint. After that dries you may or may not want to undercoat it as some people claim the undercoating can hold moisture in and cause rust which might be true but when rust has already started I find the undercoating gives you more time then leaving it exposed.