Whistling sound comming from under hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

niowa98eb

Reaction score
First off Merry Christmas to everyone.

the wife and I took a trip to Indiana yesterday and about 6 hours into our trip we noticed a whistling sound coming from under the hood of the Expy. I pulled over to check some thing out and couldn't find anything and it wouldn't make the sound while we were in park. Could this be a vacuum line that's cracked or dry rotted? I thought it could be my transmission but I put the truck in N when it was making the sound and it still makes it for a few seconds then quits.

OP
OP
niowa98eb

niowa98eb

Reaction score
forgot to say it happens most frequently when the rpms are around 2k just before it shifts into over drive and not if I floor it from a stop light.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like my tb spacer... did someone prior to you add a tb spacer?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
I was thinking throttle body spacer too.

OP
OP
niowa98eb

niowa98eb

Reaction score
Not sure if someone added a Tb spacer before me but this just started after owning my Expy for a year now. I'm going to pick up some mercon today and add some to see if that takes care of it. if not I guess I'll be taking it in to get checked out since were about 700 miles from home. Thanks for the help.

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you added an aftermarket air intake cone filter in place of the stock air box? Those torpedo chrome cone filters from the auto parts stores make a whistling sound when the gas pedal is applied. It is created from the inner chrome torpedo head inside the tunnel of the filter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
niowa98eb

niowa98eb

Reaction score
Added some mercon and the sound is gone must have just been low. No aftermarket intake or tb spacer. Hopefully it was just a little low on tranny fluid thanks again guys for the suggestions.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
never heard a tranny a little low on fluid make a noise like that... thermo? whats your o2

OP
OP
niowa98eb

niowa98eb

Reaction score
$178, 3 vacuum lines, 2 elbows and a new pcv valve and the sound is gone. Hopefully it stays gone.