white resedue after wet sanding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I painted my expy od green and sparyed a flat clear for protection. Am in the process of wet sanding. There is a white resedue now. Do I get rid of it by polishing? If so can I polish without a buffee abd what polish should I get

Attachments

• 20130330_181833.jpg
    20130330_181833.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 142

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Are you sure that you're supposed to wet sand a flat clear?
Usually the reason to wet sand is to get a high, smooth gloss. I'm not sure what happens to flat clear coat when it's polished.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Wet sanding with 2000 grit or higher will make the finish dull but smooth. I then use rubbing compound followed by polishing compound and finally wax. I have done this by hand but on much smaller areas and it works very well.

Rubbing compound is the most aggressive cleaner/polisher followed by polishing compound and finally wax. Some waxes have cleaners in them some do not.

Just my experience..

Whenever I have wet sanded the finish looks good while wet but gets the dull white powdery look when dry as you mentioned. Using the successive "polishing" compounds brings back the luster.

I have no idea what a "flat" clear coat will end up looking as tony has mentioned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure but I painted it outside so it came out rough amd the clear was labeled flat but came out more glossy than I like

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I think doing the above steps will remove the residue and bring back the natural "shine" thats in the clear coat by design. Whether or not its too shiny or not I am not sure you have much control over.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With over 26 years or detailing experience finally a subject I am versed in- The white is basically the clear being sanded is turning to powder. Once you are all wetsanded you will want to buff it with a wool pad using M105 which will get rid of the sanding marks, then follow up with M205 with a foam pad. Both of these are very novice friendly

OP
OP
J

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dont have a buffer jay. I spent about 5 min on the fender witj some cheap compound and blue shop towels. Came out to my liking. After all I didnt go od green to impress anyone but more so concealment if shtf with all tje gun talk.