width on stock 17" rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin Masters

Reaction score
What's the largest in "width" I can put on stock 17" factory rims? Right now I'm running 265... could i possibly go to 305 in width?

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the spec for the gen is 17" x 7.5".

I'm not sure how wide the tire can go on that size.

You might consider either looking Discount/Tire Rack website - I think they have fitment checks for wheels/tires, and the car truck model.

Or just drop into one of their stores and do the same.

I did some digging online and found an old thread from another board that has some notes that should help you. One thing I got out of it is 8.5" width wheel would work w/ 305 tire, BUT am unsure about rubbing issues of course on turns.

Double check w/ a professional before you pull the trigger.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes/386791-will-305-s-fit-7-wide-rim.html

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most 305s call for a 10" wide wheel. Even if it could fit I'm guessing you'd have so much sidewall bulge it would be awful to even look at let alone drive on safely. Contact patch would be affected and likely negate any gains in traction. There are some differences in tires of course, namely sidewall heights being the variable as to what might work. Some tolerate "abuse" more than others so I'm I'm you'll find someone out there that has done it.

Is this for looks or a functional change?

creecer

Reaction score
generally speaking, you can go 4-4.5" wider than the rim. It varies by manufacturer, so I would err on the side of caution. So for a stock 17x7.5, the widest tire you should run is an 11.5"