Windshield replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phorn73

Reaction score
Just had the windshield replaced at Safelite due to a crack. I have the LDW and rain sensing wipers. The picture is of that assembly from the outside. My question: is something off or are the visible lines supposed to run at an angle? Never bothered to look at it before it was done (of course). Thanks in advance!52447EA5-D9E9-4775-AC6D-9DBA5F57C348.jpeg

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
Speaking of windshields and replacement... just got my '18 Limited windows ceramic tinted. We talked about doing the windshield full tint, the installer said I should wait until I have it replaced (it's got a small chip and lots of rock pitting), since insurance will pay for windshield replacement but not for tint replacement ($200 for ceramic tint on windshield). He said that if/ when I replace it that he can do it AND tint the glass before installing for 1/2 price on tint. Now, here's the question... he said he only uses "dealer glass", I said "OEM". He explained that OEM is a widely misused word these days, doesn't mean what it used to, it doesn't necessarily mean that OEM glass is "Ford" glass but "dealer glass" means that it is real Ford glass. Has anyone heard that before? I've had windshields replaced on previous cars and have always insisted on OEM glass.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is many different manufacturers and I wouldn't want to chance some aftermarket glass. They put aftermarket glass on my wifes car once and we had them re-do it with factory glass because it was noisy and not insulated. Just know what they are using. Many are as good as OEM.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is many different manufacturers and I wouldn't want to chance some aftermarket glass. They put aftermarket glass on my wifes car once and we had them re-do it with factory glass because it was noisy and not insulated. Just know what they are using. Many are as good as OEM.
I was just coming in to post something similar to this. With the "SoundScreen" glass as OE I would not accept anything less than when replacing the glass. For sure a lot of these glass places will try to put jobber parts and while the fit may be similar, it misses the mark on a few key areas such as sound insulation and (imo) softer jobber glass if that's a thing.

We had this issue on our MKT. We even went to the Lincoln dealer to replace the glass and it was about $375 (CDN) the used inferior jobber parts and when I picked up the vehicle I refused to take the vehicle home. I cited the non OE part and the workmanship was a bit shoddy. They had the Manager come out and after a min of looking said they would take care of it.