Windshield won't defrost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nbullock38

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my windshield randomly fogging up while driving. It happens when temps are below 35 F or so and the defrost does not solve the problem no matter if it is set to auto, a/c, high fan with high temp, high fan with low temp. It is only resolved if I put the windows down while driving which is not convenient at these temps. It is a hazard while driving and the dealership was unable to fix it because they could not replicate the problem. Can someone please help here?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am having an issue with my windshield randomly fogging up while driving. It happens when temps are below 35 F or so and the defrost does not solve the problem no matter if it is set to auto, a/c, high fan with high temp, high fan with low temp. It is only resolved if I put the windows down while driving which is not convenient at these temps. It is a hazard while driving and the dealership was unable to fix it because they could not replicate the problem. Can someone please help here?

I live in the Tri-State.

What dealership?

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you press the front defog button (looks like rear defog button but curved), the system should direct air through too dash vents, then turn on the A/C to dry the air.

To troubleshoot, check to make sure air is being directed to top dash vents first.

In general, when the wind screen is foggy, I turn the front defog for few minutes then back to auto.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd bet your car has wet floors, or moisture inside. Cold temps can't tolerate the excessive moisture. These cars are KNOWN for leaking and getting the passenger front seat floor wet. Check it, and lift up the mats.....

OP
OP
N

nbullock38

Reaction score
When you press the front defog button (looks like rear defog button but curved), the system should direct air through too dash vents, then turn on the A/C to dry the air.

To troubleshoot, check to make sure air is being directed to top dash vents first.

In general, when the wind screen is foggy, I turn the front defog for few minutes then back to auto.
Air is blowing from the wind screen vents but it will not clear the fog whether I have the temp set at 85 or 60

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Air is blowing from the wind screen vents but it will not clear the fog whether I have the temp set at 85 or 60
Try cleaning the inside of the window with distilled water and a little vinegar or even glass cleaner.
Fog loves to cling to the film on the windows that accumulate every week.

On a side note. RainEx Wiper fluid sucks. It puts a waxy film that the wipers smear. Drove back from Utah with my new Timberline in the rain and vis was great. Put RainEx in and the next rain it was so smeary and filmy even in the heaviest rain to the point it was hard to drive. Best wiper fluid is distilled water only.

OP
OP
N

nbullock38

Reaction score
No experience with that dealership. Only Woody Sander, Northgate and Cronin.
I purchased it from Woody Sander, great experience. Took it there for a first oil change (free as part of the sale). They didn't tighten the filter enough and oil leaked all over my garage floor for a weekend before I noticed it (maybe half a quart). Haven't been back.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score

If you are sure that the fog is actually inside (external fog on cold days can be cleared with wipers), and it is not clearing, then you either have non-functional A/C compressor or excessive humidity inside.

Does your AC work well to cool the cabin on hot days??

Try to direct air through windshield vents and manually turn the ac compressor on (there is also a button for that) and see what happens.