Rear Defrost Tab and ESP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expy7

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm a new member, so first post. I did a search but couldn't find my exact issue. I see the read defrost tab is a common problem and mine has fallen off. My question is when I asked the dealer they said it wouldn't be covered by my ESP because they would have to replace the glass and glass damage isn't covered. This seems wrong to me. Does anyone have an insight? I read the ESP and it does cover electrical problems with heated glass but not glass damage/breakage itself. TIA!
Throw a big enough of a piss fit. I had my back glass replaced entirely about 3 times and had it "repaired" in between replacements. I was in my 3/36 though. Call ford customer service and through a big enough of a fit. I'm not sure if this is really what fixed it because I got a carport this year and didn't have to deal with the rear defrost too much so can't confirm, but Ford said they sent out an engineer and they had to replace some sort of "harness" in the back. Since they did that, it hasn't fallen off.

I also had the sticky back button they had to replace like 3 or 4 times. They finally just replaced the entire back plastic piece that is on the inside of the hatch. Haven't had an issue since then.

HILLY

Reaction score
Funny enough reading this thread now. I had noticed that the RHS tab came undone this weekend. I was careful about it, but added solder to the tab and with a spade tip I was able to reattach to the glass.

jera0005

Reaction score
This problem appears to be an issue on all makes of cars, hence all of the aftermarket solutions to the problem. Ford ESP denied me as well, frustrating. I tried the adhesive kit, which failed. I soldered it back on myself. It was an easy fix, you won't break the glass either. Take the little metal tab out of the plastic holder otherwise the plastic will melt. Hold the metal tab with a needle nose pliers.

lubbers6

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm a new member, so first post. I did a search but couldn't find my exact issue. I see the read defrost tab is a common problem and mine has fallen off. My question is when I asked the dealer they said it wouldn't be covered by my ESP because they would have to replace the glass and glass damage isn't covered. This seems wrong to me. Does anyone have an insight? I read the ESP and it does cover electrical problems with heated glass but not glass damage/breakage itself. TIA!
Mine has fallen off several times. Put on again at dealer. Last time they charged me $225. A month later fell off. Put on for free. Now, a week later it fell off again. Dealer told me they can’t put it on again without replacing glass. That’s fine, but I’m not paying. I’m over 36k miles. Any suggestions.
It just falls off while driving.
2022 Timberline.

HILLY

Reaction score
If you have a steady hand at soldering, I would try it yourself. Really isn't a reason everyone getting the glass replaced unless the conductors have somehow suffered excessive damage.

JimW

Reaction score
My dealer repaired mine 2 times then stated I need to buy new glass. Dealer said not covered under warranty. I called ESP and they said it was covered. The dealer will need to replace the rear defroster not the "rear glass" and it will be covered under warranty.