Won't start after running for a while...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colorado

Reaction score
Need input here.
My wife's Expedition, 2000 5.4 AWD/4WD approximate 70,000 miles, has now done this twice. We'll drive around town for between 30-60 minutes. Stop somewhere for about 5 minutes. It then starts but runs very rough for just a few seconds and dies.

Repeated attempts to start it; either it wont start at all, or it starts and runs rough for a few seconds and then dies, even if you give it some gas. After numerous attempts and about 20-30 minutes, it starts up and runs as if nothing has ever happened.

I'm fairly certain it's not the battery, the engine turns over just fine. The check engine light is not on when it's running. It's not overheating or even getting into the high range of normal operating temperature.

Where should I start looking? Any advice appreciated!

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
replace the iac valve (idle air control )

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can actually clean the IAC valve...much cheaper. Just remove the valve (on the back of the engine block) and spray it down the chemtool or whatever and let it sit overnight to dry. Make sure the valve actuates freely.