Worried about Ecoboost longevity? Heres a 2.7L EB F-150 w/200,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never buy a vehicle that was born on a Monday or a Friday, at least that’s what I’ve heard for the past 45 years......

That may be true, but good luck finding out the day your truck was built. Generally all that is readily available is the month/year of build..

Iowan

Reaction score
I've got a friend who has a machine shop/engine shop that has done three with lower end failures sence the first of the year. All with in 75 to 150 k for miles and as I think of it it it was in February and March so the winter weather could have had something to do with it.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Never buy a vehicle that was born on a Monday or a Friday, at least that’s what I’ve heard for the past 45 years......
The screw ups, call off Friday thru Monday. They usually 'show up' Tues -Thurs. My uncle used to say, a cars 'break in', determined if it will last. Ford vehicles, seem to always have odd part failures. Bad truck radios, Cam phaser, Expedition trailing arms, paint peeling, cracked intakes, carbon on valves, loose plugs. I thinks its called planned obsolescence.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The screw ups, call off Friday thru Monday. They usually 'show up' Tues -Thurs. My uncle used to say, a cars 'break in', determined if it will last. Ford vehicles, seem to always have odd part failures. Bad truck radios, Cam phaser, Expedition trailing arms, paint peeling, cracked intakes, carbon on valves, loose plugs. I thinks its called planned obsolescence.

Got that right!!! Seemed the cars I bought new in the 70s never had one problem and you only got 12 month, 12000 mile warranty. They give you longer warranties now because they know something will go bad....imo.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The born on date is at the very bottom under Ford Credit. At the end of the letters and numbers.View attachment 30928
I Factory ordered my 2011 Mustang. You are issued a VIN, then you can track car. It is a 2-3 day process, starting in the 'body shop' and ending in final inspection. The last step, the car is driven on to a roller dyno and run at 70mph. Everything is checked. The car is then parked in a 'mixing lot' and waits to be shipped. Mine took 10 days. The engine and transmission are made at different plants, along with the rest of the parts. Most of the body, is welded by robots. They have the whole process down to a science. Bad engineering is what you have to worry about.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I Factory ordered my 2011 Mustang. You are issued a VIN, then you can track car. It is a 2-3 day process, starting in the 'body shop' and ending in final inspection. The last step, the car is driven on to a roller dyno and run at 70mph. Everything is checked. The car is then parked in a 'mixing lot' and waits to be shipped. Mine took 10 days. The engine and transmission are made at different plants, along with the rest of the parts. Most of the body, is welded by robots. They have the whole process down to a science. Bad engineering is what you have to worry about.
I work at a truck plant in 1990 and none of the vehicles were tested. When they got to the end of the assembly line they started them up and drove them out into the parking lot and parked them waiting for the trucks to come pick them up and deliver them. The ones that didn't start or wouldn't move were pushed out of the way and a tech came and figured them out. There was no dye no, no testing, not even seeing if the AC radio wipers or anything worked. Not even a basic safety check. They didn't really fix much either. As long as they could get it to move they would deliver it to the dealership then the Dealer's got to fix anything that was really wrong with them.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
None of these are odd part failures, these are piss-poor designs. Those trailing arms on the Expedition rust out because they had shoddy powder coating on them and because they are inferior thin stamped design which required them to need to be powder coated. Other designs on other vehicles with last the life of five vehicles with the exception of the bushings wearing out unless you got an accident and bent or broke one. It was a cheap lousy design probably to save money.
Loose plugs was a two-fold reason. 1 simply installation error and not tightening them all the same or tight enough , and two, not putting enough threads in the head so you can actually tighten them up without risking stripping out the threats. Once again piss poor.
Kraken takes goes back to Designed I'm against by using plastic. There is no way Plassey is going to last as long as aluminum. Give me alilumonum with a good quality gasket and we won't have a problem but they think plastic is good enough.
I blame all paint issues on one of two things, trying to cut corners and save money or government regulations. There is no reason with the climate controlled extremely clean and robotic paint booth we have now for vehicles to have paint and corrosion bubbling underneath issues. But yet they're coming back. We dealt with this decades ago and when basecoat clearcoat came along once they got to stop peeling and flaking off paint jobs have lasted longer than the old ones. Noticed you don't see so many dull gazed overlooking gray paint jobs anymore. And people don't really take care of their cars or wax them like they used to in the old days.
The new Camaros have a water based paint with a solvent-based clear. I have read that is illegal in the state of California to spray a solvent based color. The only thing that keeps these paint jobs even looking decent for three years would be the solvent based clear. As soon as someone comes up with a water-based clear that's simply just barely good enough California will be forced into that. I've already read that many people are taking their custom and classic cars across state lines and then Nevada to get old school high quality paint jobs.
The way painting is done changed a lot to over the past 15 years and I don't know exactly when there might be a quality reduction and to what correlation this is but I do know that used to put a lot more paint on cars. Then they went to the hvlp or whatever it is spray gun. They started using a lot less paint to paint a car with these. Now I know the complaint is they want the pressure to be low because they don't want the paint to blow around and bounce around off of the panel it's being sprayed on.
We never get a chance to perfect anything because some regulation comes along or somebody comes with a new way to save money and they screw it up all over again. Then they start improving that improving improving improving to get it to a decent standard maybe even better than what we had and then the cycle repeats itself.
The whole variable valve timing on the Fords is overly complicated and not robust enough. I'm totally against most all this variable valve timing as it only causes problems. I will deal with a couple of Miles less fuel mileage and have me a nice simple metal timing chain and gears and never have to worry about it for the life of the vehicle. That's the way it should be. Honda VTX never had problems with their variable valve timing but it was only like a two-position thing low and high. Now we've got these wimpy little Rotator disc and parts that are springing around back and forth so they can have infinitely variable or 50 or 60 degrees total movement that's not holding up. Then they need to make the tensioner foot and the guides out of better quality material also. They simply don't care about it lasting 250,000 miles. I deal with this every single day and the outdoor power equipment industry. Instead of anyone stepping up to the plate and improving their quality or making a better product that will last longer and God forbid, charging more for it... They are all keeping the price exactly the same and instead of raising prices when production costs go up and materials go up, they are skimping on quality. They do not want you to keep your lawn mower for 15 or 20 years. They are going for an 8-year replacement. I had two mowers picked up last week that we're both 1999 models. And this is not that uncommon. Most of the machines I see are in the 2001 to 2005 range and then with the other part being up to 2008. I actually really get machines in that are newer than 2013 because people really just don't service them and they wait until there's a problem until they bring them in. So it takes 4 to 5 years usually for something to break and then they have to bring it in.
I do get a good number of them in that are simple no starts because of the fuel quality but I get an equal amount of new ones vs. Ohlins so I don't count those. That's not really a repair or anything failed. This is why the manufacturer will not warranty and if you're related issues because even though I hate the manufacture and they are a bunch of weasels, it is not their fault. The gas is junk and causes them to self clog.