WRECKED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derrekg123

Reaction score
F2F7B446-3DC9-4728-A26C-357A53FD94B5.jpeg 66D51529-6FF1-4964-8CDC-6FF96C8819C6.jpeg 9B5C1DBE-A5FC-47E6-A448-5B159D108153.jpeg 62110005-B321-4EE3-A631-662D8D568872.jpeg Got t-boned the other day and now my big green machine is destroyed. I'm not sure what to do with her because I'm sure insurance is going to total her. What do you guys think?

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the rear door open/close? I'm guessing no, but if it does cash that insurance check, fix the suspension damage yourself and save the remaining until you've got to purchase a new vehicle. If the body damage bothers you, then I'm afraid it's time to put her down because insurance isn't going to pay enough..

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That knuckle, Jesus.

Glad you walked away, body damage sucks but looks repairable.

That knuckle...

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 27200 View attachment 27201 View attachment 27202 View attachment 27203 Got t-boned the other day and now my big green machine is destroyed. I'm not sure what to do with her because I'm sure insurance is going to total her. What do you guys think?

That's a bummer. Where can you find a truck like your for what the insurance is going to pay. If everything else is good on the truck it may be worth repairing. Don't take the first offer from the insurance company. Good luck.

BillAlex

Reaction score
I just paid $3,000 for a Reman engine and the cheapest I could get a used engine from a bone yard was low Twenties. Most were $2,100 to $2,500 and I couldn't believe how many miles these 5.4L 3V engines go before they are melted down. Not unusual to see engines with 200,000 miles and more. About the lowest mile engine was 100,000 miles and wanted $2,500. transmissions go for a couple of grand with a quick sale of a used one at around $1,200 to $1,500. So I think you are sitting on around $4,000 in engine and transmission depending on mileage. I think I would take your Insurance money, sell off what is left in parts and upgrade to a year or two newer. You might make out on this.
I was glad to hear that no one was hurt and you walked away from it. Expeditions are built like tanks and I would much rather be in one of those than a VW or *** trap.

OP
OP
derrekg123

derrekg123

Reaction score
Does the rear door open/close? I'm guessing no, but if it does cash that insurance check, fix the suspension damage yourself and save the remaining until you've got to purchase a new vehicle. If the body damage bothers you, then I'm afraid it's time to put her down because insurance isn't going to pay enough..
The back door does still open. Although I haven't checked to see if the window rolls down yet. I'm still waiting for insurance to get out to look at it then I'll decide what I'm going to do. She just hit 200,000 miles not that long ago..

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The rear quarter is part of the rockers and body structure. It will tough to replace or straighten, but not impossible. The rest appears minor. Looks like a control arm/spindle, door and running board. The boards are attached to the frame, so that may be bent. The hit looks above the frame. The door gaps, look straight.

Joseph Tator

Reaction score
That’s rough but that god you were in that tank and not one of these new pieces of plastic they sell nowadays

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ouch....everybody okay?
I think the damage outweighs the existing value so the insurance company will probably total her. I know, that sux.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was glad to hear that no one was hurt and you walked away from it. Expeditions are built like tanks and I would much rather be in one of those than a VW or *** trap.

I wrecked a 3-month-old Acura Integra in 1996 doing 130 mph on the interstate and walked away w/ only cuts, bruises, and a minor concussion (young, stupid, and reckless). That "*** trap" did very well.

("Christine" as I started calling her several years ago has since been totaled 3 more times according to the CarFax report and now has over 400K on the clock.)