Wrench Icon; power train malfunction/reduced power, and forward collision warning alerts in message center

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tleone

Reaction score
I drive a 2019 ford expedition xlt, and in may of 2022(almost a year ago, had roughly 30,000km at the time), I was on a road trip and going 100 km/hr when I lost acceleration, then the wrench on the dash, and alerts appear in the app. It would not let me go above 100 kilometers, and had hard shifts. My spouse directed me to pull over, turn off, open doors and see if it restarts; to which it did. We took it to ford and nothing was found and it did not repeat the problem for them. Over the past year there has been a few times where it doesn't seem to respond when it should during acceleration, and a few odd shifts; however I typically chalked it up to my error/overthinking it because there was no alerts, and I could duplicate it. Fast forward to March 30 2023, on another road trip the same thing happened with wrench, alerts, but this time it would lose power at different speeds then shift hard, but roughly around 70-80, then 100-110kms/hr was the worse. Again wasn't near a dealership, and had no option but to pull over on the highway and turn off, and see if it clears; to which it did. This year I had previously switched into eco mode, and after the wrench it said driving mode selection unavailable, and the prior occurrence I do not remember if I had switched into a different driving mode or not.

I want to take it into ford before warranty is up(another 30,000 kms), but also want to have information since last time they said nothing was found, and nothing they can do. They have not found an another issue but when warranty was up they found a solution but I had to pay for it.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive a 2019 ford expedition xlt, and in may of 2022(almost a year ago, had roughly 30,000km at the time), I was on a road trip and going 100 km/hr when I lost acceleration, then the wrench on the dash, and alerts appear in the app. It would not let me go above 100 kilometers, and had hard shifts. My spouse directed me to pull over, turn off, open doors and see if it restarts; to which it did. We took it to ford and nothing was found and it did not repeat the problem for them. Over the past year there has been a few times where it doesn't seem to respond when it should during acceleration, and a few odd shifts; however I typically chalked it up to my error/overthinking it because there was no alerts, and I could duplicate it. Fast forward to March 30 2023, on another road trip the same thing happened with wrench, alerts, but this time it would lose power at different speeds then shift hard, but roughly around 70-80, then 100-110kms/hr was the worse. Again wasn't near a dealership, and had no option but to pull over on the highway and turn off, and see if it clears; to which it did. This year I had previously switched into eco mode, and after the wrench it said driving mode selection unavailable, and the prior occurrence I do not remember if I had switched into a different driving mode or not.

I want to take it into ford before warranty is up(another 30,000 kms), but also want to have information since last time they said nothing was found, and nothing they can do. They have not found an another issue but when warranty was up they found a solution but I had to pay for it.
Ford dealers will do everything in there power Not to do warranty work. If your vehicle doesnt Actively have a check engine light or wrench they will say there is nothing they can "replicate" . Its a sleezball tatic. If your vehicle had a wrench or check engine light in the past they could easily plug a xtool or similar fancy scanner and run a full diagnostics of all modules and see the related errors

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It happened to me couple times and Ford dealers are azz holes to deal with. Either couldn't replicate or waiting on Ford rep.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score

F*** Ford. They deserve to go bankrupt.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the modules store codes then they can pull them.
Now you might have to agree to pay for the diagnostics. another alternative is go to a local shop not ford. And have them pull the codes. Or download forscan and do it yourself. Then bring the info to your dealer. These guys aren’t running a charity if everyone who might have experienced an issue shows up and they diagnose it with no work to perform they would not be around. My BMW dealers and Caddy dealers were the same.
Sometimes they cannot perform warranty work if a component is not broken. If you put bad gas in as an example, that will clear itself but still cause wrench if knock is bad enough.
a code reader is a cheap investment. Some of them you can leave in and keep monitoring while you drive so you have the parameters of the faults too.

chrissbu

Reaction score
We just picked up a 2019 Expedition Limited about 3 weeks ago, and on our first time up on the highway with it after bringing it home, we had the exact same thing happen. It was a bit snowy out, and we were doing 65mph-ish on the highway when suddenly we got the notice about the collision system and then the powertrain light, and couldn't change drive modes or anything. At the time, I didn't know the "trick" to shut it down and open the door, as I shut down and restarted it, and the issue persisted.

I've since gotten an OBD reader and Forscan, and pulled all of the DTCs, and there are none related to the powertrain. I had some errors from the collision system with the camera being obstructed (which is interesting to see the level of detail captured - exact time, speed, etc), but it would be really weird that something on the windshield blocking the camera would cause a powertrain warning.

We just replaced the battery to see if that might help resolve some of the little issues (no auto start/stop, some other DTCs around lost communication between various modules), so we'll see if that helps at all. But it is very frustrating that the dashboard could light up like that and _not_ store any codes.

comtecjon

Reaction score

What was the solution?

99Redcobra

Reaction score
Happened to me 5 times , twice drove it to the dealer while in limp mods and all other warnings displayed and no codes! Ford pass recorded the incidents also so no denying. I left vehicle with service for a week while the tech commuted to work in my vehicle with the computer connected to diagnostics. Fourth day he hit a pot hole on hiway dash lit up and he captured the screen . Bad pin coonection at fire wall harness pin C134. They slid the pin out of holder and it pulled off the wire as no metal was actually in the pin when crimped by whatever company makes Fords Harnesses! China? It’s been fine for two years and 30k miles since repaired . I have a great dealer Jannell Ford in MA that tries! If you have the patience as they are extremely shorthand as are most dealers today. My cousin in GA with his 103k dollar Navigator has had numerous similar issues, a dealer that can’t fix it and he’s at his wits end. His tail gate deployed on the interstate while driving! So it will not save codes depending on the cause of the fault!

99Redcobra

Reaction score
BTW ITS A 2018 Platinum 55k on it now and I love that damn car! Have a 21 Bronco OBX Sasquatch also but the Expedition is pure classy and a dream to drive still!