Powertrain Malfunction and Pre-collision Assist Not available - Dealer says there are no codes??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheNuke

Reaction score
On July 9th I was on the highway when the truck shuddered, threw both the pre-collision assist not available and powertrain malfunction/reduced power alerts on the dash and went into limp mode. Alerts popped up on my phone through the app as well. I exited the highway, shut the vehicle off and turned it back on 5 minutes later and the dash warnings were gone. I immediately scheduled service and got the truck back yesterday (7/17), but the dealership notes say that no codes were stored in the system (The battery was never disconnected and I didn't clear the codes myself). Does that seem right to you? Still got charged the $100 deductible for my ESP, but they're not actually addressing anything.

When I asked for their advice on how to seek resolution they told me to drive right to the dealership without shutting the truck off, letting it idle in a service bay, and they'd scramble a tech to diagnose it. While I appreciate the offer, that's pretty nuts in my mind. I know sometimes the issues clear themselves on the dash, but I'm genuinely surprised that the codes that have been thrown historically aren't accessible, at least until they are reset or the battery is disconnected.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm taking my nav in for this next week. It's happened to me three times, but each time has been about 12hrs into the drive. I'm hoping they find something but I doubt they will.

Craig Payne

Reaction score
Not sure if this matches any of y’all’s situations, but this happened to me on a recent vacation. We were pulling out of a gas station with our travel trailer in tow, and a car shot out in front of us that we had to swerve hard to avoid. Luckily everyone and everything was OK. Immediately after we swerved all of these warning lights that you mentioned popped up on the dash and in the phone application. It was also resolved by shutting the car off for five minutes and turning it back on. I’m not sure what happened, but I wondered if something about the near collision miss caused a malfunction in a sensor or the computer, and that by restarting the computer it was able to determine that perhaps the sensors were functioning normally? Not sure.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if this matches any of y’all’s situations, but this happened to me on a recent vacation. We were pulling out of a gas station with our travel trailer in tow, and a car shot out in front of us that we had to swerve hard to avoid. Luckily everyone and everything was OK. Immediately after we swerved all of these warning lights that you mentioned popped up on the dash and in the phone application. It was also resolved by shutting the car off for five minutes and turning it back on. I’m not sure what happened, but I wondered if something about the near collision miss caused a malfunction in a sensor or the computer, and that by restarting the computer it was able to determine that perhaps the sensors were functioning normally? Not sure.
That really sounds like some cable in the back of the vehicle's computer got loose.

Hisurfernmi

Reaction score
I recently was getting the Pre Collison Assist Not Available error. Not the Powertrain malfunction. It would pop up nearly every time I drove the car starting about 3 weeks ago. Its wasn't consistent on when it would happen. The error sometimes would pop up in my Ford Pass app. Took it to the dealer and they determined it was my CCM (Cruise Control Module). Swapped it and I've been good since. I do believe they found code U-2008, but I had checked with my scan tool a couple times and never saw an error.

Craig Payne

Reaction score
That really sounds like some cable in the back of the vehicle's computer got loose.
That's what I was initially concerned about, however the standard turn it off and walk away for 5 minutes resolved all issues. It started back up as if nothing had been wrong and the issue hasn't happened since then. I'm not sure what caused it but I can't imagine the issue would just disappear entirely if it was a hardware component like a cable coming loose. The only thing I could think is a software issue in some internal computing module that cleared when the vehicle restarted.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to my son, messages like that have been showing up on the Ford Pass app for his 2023 F-150 Tremor. He has no idea if the warning is legit or not as things seem to be working normally.

Closest dealer is so backed up that they won't set up appointments, they want the vehicle dropped off and left--maybe up to four weeks and no rental car unless the vehicle owner can be placed in a Ford rental because Ford tells them that's their rule. I'm just thankful to own two pre-covid vehicles. From what I read and hear, the current competition is no better and likely worse.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotta call back from dealer, crank pressure sensor. Don't ask me what that is. Of the near decade I've been part of this forums and the 2 4th gen trucks I've owned, never heard of it. Looked it up, when the sensor goes bad or it senses the pressure not right, it throws error codes and can lower engine performance. Of crs, warranty doesn't cover it. No road trips planned but I better not got stranded somewhere lol. It should be ready for pickup tomorrow. However, I want my truck back, like a week ago, so I happy about that.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotta call back from dealer, crank pressure sensor. Don't ask me what that is. Of the near decade I've been part of this forums and the 2 4th gen trucks I've owned, never heard of it. Looked it up, when the sensor goes bad or it senses the pressure not right, it throws error codes and can lower engine performance. Of crs, warranty doesn't cover it. No road trips planned but I better not got stranded somewhere lol. It should be ready for pickup tomorrow. However, I want my truck back, like a week ago, so I happy about that.

Is your vehicle still covered under the new-car warranty?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani