XLT Audio Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty sure this would apply to other trim levels as well.

Following is what I did to substantially increase the audio quality of my 2018. I now have a much fuller, richer sound, with low and mid range levels greatly increased. This is probably the best that can be done to this system without getting enclosures for the door speakers (unavailable at this point).

This was accomplished with extensive help from Bruce over at Hush Audio. He did say he's available to help anyone else out that wants to undertake this task. [email protected] I must've asked him a hundred questions and he got back to me quickly ever time.

First, all door & pillar speakers were swapped out to Memphis Audio replacements. Sourced from Crutchfield. Pretty much a no-brainer. Getting the tweeters in the stock locations is a little tricky, but nothing more than 5mins a side. In this setup the center channel speaker is eliminated.

Added an 8" tube subwoofer with self powered amp behind the 2nd row seats. My 3rd row is always down, so there is a perfect little space for it there. See my prev post about removing the 3rd row headrest. Again, super simple. This not a 'thumping' bass sub. Just to fill in the lows.

Ran a 12gauge power wire (fused) from the battery directly back to the grommet on the firewall. There is a little nub there that is waiting for you to punch out and run your wire. Then, removed the glove box stuff and fished the wire through. A little time consuming, but IMO better than draping the wire across the engine compartment to get to the E brake grommet on the drivers side. My way is cleaner.

Bruce sent me a new wiring harness that plugs into the back of the factory unit to split off the front channel and get a signal to the sub. He also hooked me up with a Kicker Key amp to power the fronts. Utilizing his harness, you use the crossovers that came with the speakers and run a new pair of speaker wires to the front tweeters on the A Pillars. Again, super easy. They Key amp is mounted behind the head unit perfectly (its very small). Power is split from the earlier cable run I made. Neg wire run from a stud behind the head unit (and that Neg is also used for the sub amp). Signal for your front door speakers now comes from your new crossovers via the new harness. Turn on signal is handled by the Key (3v).

Crossovers are mounted above the small glove back, behind the panel. Out of the way.

Turn on signal for the Subwoofer amp comes from tapping fuse 23 behind the Pass kick panel. The whole bundle of wires fits easily under the door sills on the passenger side back to the sub.

All that's left to do is turn off the sub and then run the whitenoise programing for the DSP on the Kicker Key to tune the system.

After doing a lot of research, this is def the best bang for your buck to get better audio. Is it a perfect high system? No, not even close. But its much much better.

dj2big

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Following is what I did to substantially increase the audio quality of my 2018. I now have a much fuller, richer sound, with low and mid range levels greatly increased. This is probably the best that can be done to this system without getting enclosures for the door speakers (unavailable at this point).

This was accomplished with extensive help from Bruce over at Hush Audio. He did say he's available to help anyone else out that wants to undertake this task. [email protected] I must've asked him a hundred questions and he got back to me quickly ever time.

First, all door & pillar speakers were swapped out to Memphis Audio replacements. Sourced from Crutchfield. Pretty much a no-brainer. Getting the tweeters in the stock locations is a little tricky, but nothing more than 5mins a side. In this setup the center channel speaker is eliminated.

Added an 8" tube subwoofer with self powered amp behind the 2nd row seats. My 3rd row is always down, so there is a perfect little space for it there. See my prev post about removing the 3rd row headrest. Again, super simple. This not a 'thumping' bass sub. Just to fill in the lows.

Ran a 12gauge power wire (fused) from the battery directly back to the grommet on the firewall. There is a little nub there that is waiting for you to punch out and run your wire. Then, removed the glove box stuff and fished the wire through. A little time consuming, but IMO better than draping the wire across the engine compartment to get to the E brake grommet on the drivers side. My way is cleaner.

Bruce sent me a new wiring harness that plugs into the back of the factory unit to split off the front channel and get a signal to the sub. He also hooked me up with a Kicker Key amp to power the fronts. Utilizing his harness, you use the crossovers that came with the speakers and run a new pair of speaker wires to the front tweeters on the A Pillars. Again, super easy. They Key amp is mounted behind the head unit perfectly (its very small). Power is split from the earlier cable run I made. Neg wire run from a stud behind the head unit (and that Neg is also used for the sub amp). Signal for your front door speakers now comes from your new crossovers via the new harness. Turn on signal is handled by the Key (3v).

Crossovers are mounted above the small glove back, behind the panel. Out of the way.

Turn on signal for the Subwoofer amp comes from tapping fuse 23 behind the Pass kick panel. The whole bundle of wires fits easily under the door sills on the passenger side back to the sub.

All that's left to do is turn off the sub and then run the whitenoise programing for the DSP on the Kicker Key to tune the system.

After doing a lot of research, this is def the best bang for your buck to get better audio. Is it a perfect high system? No, not even close. But its much much better.

Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jona202A

Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for the Info ! definitely considering upgrading the sound on my 2020XLT As well , thanks for the Great ideas!

OP
OP

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not really anything that I can post pics of. Its all really self explanatory. My other post has a pic of the sub tucked away.

Shaffer9

Full Access Members
Reaction score

What's a ballpark cost for this?

OP
OP

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an update to this - I did the Forscan tweak to Zero out the factory eq (removing the higher volume flattening). Virtually no change in the sound quality. Sitting in driveway with engine off, audio source high-quality files from USB. Three different tracks with 3 very different types of music. Very very subtle increase in frequency range. IMO, not worth it with my setup.

OP
OP

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And one more update. Replaced the sub with a new 8" Memphis Audio and also the sub's amp with an Infinity amp. Still utilized the same tube. Also, blocked off the port and add more sound damping inside the tube. Bass is much much more pronounced and solid now. Punchy, tight hits. But, still not overpowering. Fills out the sound much better now. Around $275 for both those upgrades. Very much worth it.