Yes to eLSD or No to eLSD on our next Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee Hartwig

Reaction score
Last year out of curiosity, went up my steep driveway in 2wd in about 6" of snow. Other than engine speed being severely reduced by controlled ELSD, no issues.

Noxdowne

Reaction score
I spec’d & ordered vehicles at two Ford dealerships up here in Canada.

The reason why we always ordered vehicles with electronic locking rear differentials when available, was that when you are on ice you have one tire pulling and one tire pushing.

The opposite tire on the axle is there for stability like a training wheel.

When you have both rear wheels locked together you have no stabilizing for side to side motion on ice. The front tire without power is the only stabilized one and it acts like a pendulum when you are on ice and “fishtail”.

An elocker allows for mud traction hen needed, but rules the land of ice.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2018, and this was included with the HD tow package then. I have only used it a couple of times, but it worked very well. Nice to know it's there. If I could I would issue a TSB warning of making sure the wife is aware NOT to set her purse in the middle on the console. This can inadvertently push a switch which I would bet caused some of these rare failures. Also engages 4wd... Luckily, dash lights can alert you to an issue. Cell phones are also helpful. RING RING... "Hello".. Hi hon. There is a weird light on the dash.. Describes light.. "Is your purse sitting on the switches again?" OH!! Right! OK. Bye. Love you

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2018, and this was included with the HD tow package then. I have only used it a couple of times, but it worked very well. Nice to know it's there. If I could I would issue a TSB warning of making sure the wife is aware NOT to set her purse in the middle on the console. This can inadvertently push a switch which I would bet caused some of these rare failures. Also engages 4wd... Luckily, dash lights can alert you to an issue. Cell phones are also helpful. RING RING... "Hello".. Hi hon. There is a weird light on the dash.. Describes light.. "Is your purse sitting on the switches again?" OH!! Right! OK. Bye. Love you

After seeing so many scratched up center consoles, I don't put anything on that delicate thing. Plus the locker kicks out at 20-30 mph if its like all the other fords...... I don't think mine was ever locked before it failed and I'm guessing that might be the problem, it needs to be used more......

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
Currently considering used 2020 or possible 2021. It will be our 4th Expedition since 1995 and probably keep 8+/- years. Presently driving 2010 King Ranch 4x4.

Looking forward, our driving may be less adventurous than in the past and will predictably include (but who really knows anymore!)...
Wet roads regularly, mostly paved.
Dirt/gravel roads, muddy roads quarterly.
Tow some, but not frequently.
Snow/ice couple times per year.

Should we say Yes to eLSD or No to eLSD on our next Expedition? What do you think?

What’s eLSD?

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '20 with the eLSD, I love it. I owned and loved (8) gen I and gen II's. My one and only gen III (07) was the first 4x4 vehicle I ever owned without limited slip. I got it horrible stuck in a foot of snow on a 2 track that I would have never thought twice about going through with any other vehicle....I traded it on a pickup the following Monday and haven't owned a large SUV (because there were no limited slips or lockers available for so many years) until the '20 gen IV. I would not have bought it without the eLSD. I like the variable aspect better than the lockers offered on the pickups which are either wide open or completely locked. Functionally, the eLSD is the best of both worlds. I only have 9K on my '20; so, I can't speak to durability, admittedly there are a lot of moving parts; but, the concept is simple enough. My guess is that you don't want to submerge the differential vent under any circumstances....do that and you're probably in for some major issues. But, I've put it through some serious mud and snow with no issues.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even though I just paid $2100 to have mine rebuilt out of warranty, I’d still opt for it. Makes a huge difference for me on the boat ramp and in the mind off road travel I do with it. The low overhangs and long wheelbase are the biggest limiting factors.

Dimz

Reaction score
...and this is why I went with air lockers on my 2000 EB.