Yet another aftermarket parts issue - cargo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd really love to get a trunk organizer type thing similar to the ARB drawer with sliding floor but I'm running into the issue of the fact that all the carpeted flooring is not static in my 2016 EL limited. The rearmost part pops up to reveal the factory jack and the one forward of that pops up to be a shelf or vertical divider.
Problem #2 is if I were to remove both of those, the seats will no longer fold flat. Do I have to do another custom job to have a secured floor?

Reason why: I'm disabled so crawling in & out gets kind of old.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not disabled and climbing in the back is rough so I feel for you certainly.

I have 3 in car seats for years to come so the 3rd row is down and will be for years most likely.
I am going to build a drawer system that goes from the back of the 2nd row to the compartment where the jack is installed. The drawers will of course pull out over top of the jack but still have access to it when shut.
I will then have the top go from the back of the 2nd row to the liftgate and it will be on slides as well so I can pull it out to access the stuff up by the seat but open up the jack compartment still.
I’ll make the box, drawers, and top modular instead of solid so that when I do pop up the 3rd row for good I just pop the back portion off and it will go from the back of the 3rd row to the jack storage for the drawers and the back of the 3rd row to the the liftgate for the sliding top.

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While not exactly on topic, secure loops for tie-downs sure would make a nice addition. They definitely were useful in my last full sized SUV. Kept stuff in the rear from sliding around. Especially spare fuel jugs. Does not look like Gen 4's have them either.

For a more topic related observation . . . Would not mind moving that under floor storage of stuff in the cargo area to the side areas. Sure, the passenger side houses the rear HVAC, but suspect that the driver's side has room for the spare jack and then some. Lowering the cargo floor will free-up a good bit of usable space and make it easier to crawl in and out. Not to mention that it will allow for better securing of items like a set of drawers. Compromise is that the lower deck will not allow the 3rd row seats to fold flat and probably force a move to removable seats. But I can live with that. Apparently so can lots of Toyota and GM SUV owners.

Ford, hint: you reading this?

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You keep spare fuel in the cabin?
Personally I don't keep fuel in the vehicle, but do haul it from time to time. In fact I just fueled up tonight, and also filled up a 5 gal. safety can. It's heavy enough to stay put, as long as nothing goes wrong. Which in the case you had to apply heavy breaks, away to secure the can from tipping would be ideal. Even though it's a safety can, I tip toed home with the extra fuel.

I know hauling fuel in the vehicles can be dangerous, but how else are you supposed to have gas for your lawn mowers and such? I'm certainly not going to put them on the trailer and head to the nearest station.

I do love the rear cargo vented windows. The old suburban didn't have them. And leaving those open, with fuel in the rear cargo certainly helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I don't keep fuel in the vehicle, but do haul it from time to time. In fact I just fueled up tonight, and also filled up a 5 gal. safety can. It's heavy enough to stay put, as long as nothing goes wrong. Which in the case you had to apply heavy breaks, away to secure the can from tipping would be ideal. Even though it's a safety can, I tip toed home with the extra fuel.

I know hauling fuel in the vehicles can be dangerous, but how else are you supposed to have gas for your lawn mowers and such? I'm certainly not going to put them on the trailer and head to the nearest station.

I do love the rear cargo vented windows. The old suburban didn't have them. And leaving those open, with fuel in the rear cargo certainly helps.

BINGO! :)

Am glad that somebody else shares the same experience and perspective :D

OP
OP
Munkiebunz3

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So all these guys charge insane prices for cargo options. I have a friend with a welder. Let's see what I can do and how much it'll cost. If it works well & you like the setup I'll patent it & charge a ton of money too. Nah, I'll probably post the plans here.

Anchorclanker

Reaction score
For what it's worth. I put my 5 gal gas can on the passenger front foor and move the seat all the way forward. Keeps it from moving around more than a couple of inches either way. I have the Weather Teck mats also. I keep the passenger window and the rear vent windows down when doing this. Oh yeah, take the nozzle off and put the regular cap on the can too.