Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter + Torque App for Realtime Info and Fault Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3xp3d1t1on

Reaction score
There is a superb way to get real-time information from your OBD2 port (the plug beneath the steering wheel) for $16.
Back in the day this was a $10K plus endeavor and not realtime as you drive.

1) Get an OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter
- Amazon.com: Yongtek ELM 327 Bluetooth Obd2 Scan Tool - For Check Engine Light and Other Diagnostics - Android Compatible: Automotive
- Ford has some 'special' codes so if you go EBay, etc. be sure to look in comments and make sure it's a Ford-OK adapter.

2) Get the Torque app for your Android device.
- Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle
- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

3) For reference, here are the Ford PID codes:
- http://www.paladinmicro.com/documents/200304PIDs.pdf

It's quite amazing how much information this will yield.
Also gives you the ability to check for Fault Codes and much, much more.

Enjoy and drive safe.

BlueOtter728

Reaction score
Torque is a great app and inexpensive! However an app i happen to like better but it is more pricey is DashCommand. this one has a much nicer looking screen and better layout in my opinion but its 9.95, the problem is it has advanced parameters per vehicle manufacturer that's an extra 9.95. I have not purchased this part yet and that's where it gets tricky with trouble codes, due to some being proprietary.

RevBBD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a superb way to get real-time information from your OBD2 port (the plug beneath the steering wheel) for $16.
Back in the day this was a $10K plus endeavor and not realtime as you drive.

1) Get an OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter
- Amazon.com: Yongtek ELM 327 Bluetooth Obd2 Scan Tool - For Check Engine Light and Other Diagnostics - Android Compatible: Automotive
- Ford has some 'special' codes so if you go EBay, etc. be sure to look in comments and make sure it's a Ford-OK adapter.

2) Get the Torque app for your Android device.
- Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle
- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

3) For reference, here are the Ford PID codes:
- http://www.paladinmicro.com/documents/200304PIDs.pdf

It's quite amazing how much information this will yield.
Also gives you the ability to check for Fault Codes and much, much more.

Enjoy and drive safe.

Thanks for the info - I also bought one last week from Amazon except it was a different name. Same thing though:

Amazon.com: Koolertron F-12 ELM 327 OBDII PC Car Diagnostic Scanner: Automotive

Haven't used it yet - too damn cold out. Did you go with the free or pay version of Torque? I figure the few bucks for the pay version is the way to go.

B

bedrck46

I did the free version to check it out then went with the pay version

OP
OP

3xp3d1t1on

Reaction score
RevBBD-
I might have bad news for you... if you look at the reviews for the one you bought, it's the one that does not work with Ford.
You need to get the Yongtek, not the Koolertron.

Also, yeah, I went paid edition.
Not expensive and supporting developers of great software is important.

Thanks for the info - I also bought one last week from Amazon except it was a different name. Same thing though:

Amazon.com: Koolertron F-12 ELM 327 OBDII PC Car Diagnostic Scanner: Automotive

RevBBD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the free version to check it out then went with the pay version

Thanks - I'll try the same thing - especially with the bad reviews on this model

RevBBD-
I might have bad news for you... if you look at the reviews for the one you bought, it's the one that does not work with Ford.
You need to get the Yongtek, not the Koolertron.

Also, yeah, I went paid edition.
Not expensive and supporting developers of great software is important.

Thanks - I read some bad reviews on several models, but the one I bought also had a review from a guy with an 01, 02 and 05 Ford and he said it worked fine. Maybe only the older fords? I guess I'll find out. If not I'll have to shell out another 10 bucks for the one above, haha. I should have waited another week and I would have seen this post.

For 15 - 20 bucks, software included, these are a steal.

RevBBD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks - I'll try the same thing - especially with the bad reviews on this model

Thanks - I read some bad reviews on several models, but the one I bought also had a review from a guy with an 01, 02 and 05 Ford and he said it worked fine. Maybe only the older fords? I guess I'll find out. If not I'll have to shell out another 10 bucks for the one above, haha. I should have waited another week and I would have seen this post.

For 15 - 20 bucks, software included, these are a steal.

UPDATE: Today I finally tried the OBD reader device I bought that had mixed reviews for Fords. It wouldn't even light up when plugged into the OBD port on my 01 Expy, so I couldn't pair it with my phone. It did work on my 09 Lincoln (it's CEL was what finally motivated me to try it). It detected a bad 02 sensor at bank 1 sensor 1 on the Lincoln.

Since the device wouldn't even light up when plugged into the OBD port on my Expy, it makes me wonder if the device just didn't work on the Expy as some reviews mentioned, or if there is a problem with its OBD plug since it did work on my Lincoln. Guess I'll just buy the other model and see.